Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what do you use for day packs
 Login/Join

posted
been looking at Badlands 2200 day pack but kinda of spendy what do you use and why and price thanks

Posts: 27 | Location: los anchorage AK | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Crooked Horn Outfitters Master Guide Pack. Its WATERPROOF, large enough to hold plenty of gear if I need to lug stuff around. Has good shoulder straps and a waist belt, compartments. Heavy zippers. The one down fall is that it is stiff when its very cold out and the zippers become harder to work. They run about $110.

Posts: 42 | Location: Wild and Wonderful New Mexico | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a fanny pack when hunting more populated areas. I also use a camelbak with a bladder. In Ak this year I ended up attaching the camelbak to a packframe so I would have both available. That worked out well I could carry my exrta gear in the camelbak and tie my extra coat to the frame. But still had the frame ready to back game out.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many day-packs I have torn apart over the last years, and I thought I had bought some fairly good ones, apparently not so. So, like you, I looked hard at the Badlands 2200. I havn't actually used mine yet, so all I can say is that it feels very solid and well built. BUT, I must say, I was surprised at how heavy the pack was. I have the feeling I would have saved some weight (e.g. by moving to a simpler external "strap-on" feature) if I would have designed the pack. Not saying this to turn you of, but be aware of the issue of weight.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crooked Horn master guide backpack is great if you dont hunt in extremely cold climates. It gets stiff and can be noisy.

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a pack on sale at Walmart. It's two tone green with a number of compartments. The straps are perfect and don't slip off. If I told you that it cost $75 instead of the $14 I paid you might believe it as it has nice lettering, leather trim etc. It's just right for me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of backpack hunting over the past 40 years and used a lot of packs, including the "Badlands" 4500, a larger version of the one you are interested in. They are very nice folks and make one of the better packs out there, but, not the very best, they are also quite stiff and noisy in cold weather as are all packs, except wool.

For the very best, toughest packs you can find without going full custom, there are two I have that stand out above everything else-I have used all of the others-one is ...the Works at mystery ranch..., this is Dana Gleason, the legendary packmaker and the other is ...Bullpacs...for a frame that NEVER quits and is ultra comfortable in the worst conditions under monster loads.

Dana Gleason will build his smaller and larger packs in camo Saddlecloth, he currently builds a BIG pack for the US Navy Seals, who probably give their gear a bit of a workout and his staff are Montana hunters. i have had two of his packs, one has been used for over 25 yrs. in the tough conditions of B.C. and is still in perfect shape, I'm not...

I also have a wool camo pack from Screaming Eagle in Montana which is just awesome, but, I think they may be out of business, some of the other posters might know. All of the above are expensive, so what, I have learned that the finest outdoor gear is the cheapest, in the long run, as it outlasts and outperforms the bargain stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the good'ol surplus military pak. I have a Swiss model that is heavy duk-weight canvas lined with a waterproof material. I removed the one-inch straps and had padded straps sewn on from an old Kelty. It is very tough. I added velcro around the lip as there is no zipper. Total inside is 2x2' with two outside pockets. I also use a small hip pack for small items. I have had almost a fully boned blacktail loaded on and in it as it is fine with meat inside and tied on top. Washable and total cost maybe $50.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of Badlands hunting packs in the family. They are quiet, well constructed and have a good suspension system for a daypack. I have a Dana mountaineering pack (long and narrow) that makes a phenomenal meat sack for those �I wish I hadn�t shot this damn thing� packs. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bianchi from Cabelas that I just got done using during deer season mainly as a field test. My previous pack was a very simply cheapo that I didn't care for due to a variety of reasons during my NM elk hunt last fall. This Bianchi has a variety of pockets to keep things organized, has spots for the garden variety of acoutrements needed during a hunt, has expansion capability that comes in handy for shedding garments, etc., has a spot for the camel-back style watering devices (which I don't currently use), and is also very thin allowing pretty damned comfortable carrying of a slinged rifle. Something else that comes to mind is that it has a generous waste strap, contoured shoulder straps with a cross latch (which when adjusted aides in carrying a slinged rifle) and ends up being very comfortable.

I can't imagine a better designed DAY pack.

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I use the Dana Design Big Sky panel load with shovit pocket. Throw in some Alaska game bags and your set. I worked at Dana for 6 years so am totally biased. Dana's new stuff is great, too.

I like a panel load: you never have to dig down through the tube to find the stuff at the bottom, just open it up.

When the game is down, bone out and fill up the alaska game bag, turn the shovit pocket down and the copious straps and buckles will hold everything tight.

Mine just will not break and will hold a ton of gear and/or meat.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Crooked Horn Trail Blazer. Its light and durable and big enough for hunts that are only a day long.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First determine what your needs are. If it's not to carry meat, just day supplies like lunch and extra clothing, then a 1200 to 1500 cu in Alpine pack will work fine. If you want it to haul meat, then 2000 to 4000 cu in, or larger, will be required.

You can't go wrong with Dana Designs. Arc'Teryx also makes a good Alpine pack. The following link has a good list of available packs for comparison. Whether or not you need camo is subject to debate.

http://www.out-there.com/ggdpak_m.htm

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 100% made in USA Bison Gear from Grey Wolf Woolin cost some bucks though !

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a waterproof wool Pack Idaho pack for alot of years. It is now Bison gear. It works great for day trips and just in case you need to pack something out. I prefer packs that have shoulder and waste straps.

For more serious work I have messed with quite a few packs and have come to settle on the Schuh pack.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my deer lease I use the Filson Rucksak.

On hunts where I need to carry more stuff, I use a Gregory pack. I think it is the 2 day or 2 and a half day. I have had it for about 15 years.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a badlands 2200 user on day long trips. I usually carry the same on morning or evening hunts also. I've also used the crooked horn master pack and liked it also.

JMeier

Posts: 96 | Location: Arroyo Grande, Ca. | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one in Sweden. It is a left shouder pack. Fits so well!! I can have everything, even a spotting scope. Don't even know it's on.
Chevalier "grouse" is the name brand. LOVE IT!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have used a Cabelas pack with the water bladderand it works good, this fall I tried a "sling" pack from LLBean, it only has one shoulder strap along with a waist strap and I like it. If I had to make a snap shot I could do it because of no strap on my shooting shoulder

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I've used a medium ALICE pack with frame for 21 years.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've drug my cheap Wal-mart back back all over the place on many hunts including Turkey, Elk, Deer, etc. and it has never failed.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Crooked Horn Outfitters. I've used their pack a long time now under some terrible conditions and have no complaints, but ditto on the zippers. Very comfortable to wear and makes a good field rifle rest too.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried several packs, but finally found one that works. I have a Blacks Creek Guide Gear pack that I've used hunting everything. Very comfortable, very versatile, well built. When you get something on the ground, NOTHING made out there can compare to a Bullpac. Packed out a moose with it this year by myself...worked fantastic.

MG

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
This year I tried a "FieldLine" pack/fannypack combo from Wally World. So far, so good, seems like a nice light-medium duty pack that is quiet. I also use a medium ALICE w/frame.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote