New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended bait for bears
 Login/Join

<Daryl Douthat>
posted
Would appreciate tips on choice of bait for black bears. Been using dog food soaked in restaurant fryer grease(hanging in burlap bag} and not much luck. Haven't done this for a long time but think that was what I last used and it worked then. Maybe just picking the wrong locations.What works well?

posted Hide Post
Old pastries from the local bakery. From Maine to Wyoming, they produce. Pack in some horse early enough to get ripe and set up both these baits in the same area.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Popcorn doused with feed store mollasses. Cheap and light.

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Douthat:
Would appreciate tips on choice of bait for black bears. Been using dog food soaked in restaurant fryer grease(hanging in burlap bag} and not much luck. Haven't done this for a long time but think that was what I last used and it worked then. Maybe just picking the wrong locations.What works well?

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To attract bears meat works best especially old beaver carcasses.Once bears are on a bait pastries or oats and molasses will keep them coming.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Ditto the popcorn...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try cantelope and it's juices on the logs

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Joe,
I flatly refuse to share my popcorn with anyone.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Chill Nick,

I've usually got enough popcorn for you, too. Probably won't be too long before you'll be sharing popcorn with the new granbaby and I'll bet she'll get all she wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying back east tomorrow, see the family, and then take a three week or so drive back up here fishing all the way. It's been 7 years since I've been east; probably won't know how to act.

Take care of that granbaby.

Joe

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Go buy 1 or 2 dozen jelly donuts that should work also bye some anise extract that also will work well. Fish will also work but other critters may finish it before the bears get to it.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
<recurve shooter>
posted
this is my first year to bait bears , uses oats and molasses and fryer grease as a base .evertime i check bait i bring some sweets donuts ,sticky buns ect .(good thing i am a baker ) spray the trees with a mixture of vanallia , liquid smoke ,anise and vegtable oil.

took 13 days before first bear hit now a coming daily ,hope to be waiting tomorrow evening and see if i can put an arrow where i need to !!-- herb [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy I hunted with in Alaska a couple of years ago would hang a bucket of stinkbait high up in a tree, and used chicken grease and dry dog food.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get some anice. (I don;t think that's how it's spelled.) Not the kind used in cooking, but the pods it come in. Grind it up, put the gringings in a plastic bottle and fill the bottle with cooking oil. I guess olive oil would work. Let it steep for a few months. Doesn't matter what else you use for bait, this will bring them in. I have two bottles on my shelf right bow that have been brewing for a few years. I can smell it through the plastic. It's a sweet and pleasent. I got the idea from an old bear trapper in California. That's all he used to trap nusiance bears.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an easy one. A list of stuff you will need.
1. One gallon bacon grease.
2. One length of chain.
3. One keyed lock.
4. One PETA member.

Assembley:
Lead PETA member to your site. Chain PETA member to tree and lock. Throughly coat with bacon grease and sit back and wait.

Note: If you select the right PETA member they will sometimes have their own chain and lock and carry it for you!

Good luck. [Wink]

Posts: 549 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,
Try maple syrup rather than the fryer grease. Do not put meat out or the larger brown furries will visit you as well. Also, go with doughnuts, pastries, pancakes, tater tots and or french fries. I have been getting hit every night and have seen 8 distinctly different bears...all black ones. Fruite works...try to keep the bait sweet. Anise oil works well and is super aromatic. Keep feeding the rascals; don't stop untill that "one" you want comes in.
good luck...
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
How about a "Pic-a-nic" basket or some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. a bear I know always professed that these were his favorite... or do they only work in Yellowstone on bears called Boo-boo and Yogi.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I earlier posted what my guide used, I would suggest that you obtain a 4 year-old minivan that has carted around at least 3 kids under the age of 5. There's no way a bear can resist all of the food residue that the kids can apply to every surface!

<Daryl Douthat>
posted
Really appreciate all the advice, especially the minivan idea. Have now accumulated all the good stuff and will try again next year and maybe a bit longer this year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just came back from sitting in the trees over a buddies bait stand. He has been putting out bags of dry dog food and sprinkling the area with Anise Oil. Both of his stations have been hit by bears, but unfortunately not last night when I was there. Bought a 20 pound bag of dog food that I will take in tomorrow.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<RussT>
posted
Try any "4-way" feed from the local feed store, add bacon greese. The feed is prebagged and easier to get up on the hill. You might also try spreading a little vinegar around the area of your bait, the acid mimics a phereomone emited by ants.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I used to take my wife along until she figured out the only time I invited her was during her period. [Big Grin] :

Boy was she ever mad.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm part owner of an outfitting business in Maine that specializes in black bear and moose ( www.bowlincamps.com. We have always had great luck with leftover from the nearby town's dunkin Donuts, plus we use vanilla extract to mask our scent. The doughnuts rally bring them in!

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<dirty ernie>
posted
Try used Kentucky Fried Chicken oil and crushed Captain Crunch cereal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

My only concern about using food-saturated minivans as bait is that this could lead to hundreds of thousands of abandoned minivans covering prime bear habitat!

<Paul Dustin>
posted
you can have my X-wife. the bears my not like her