New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughters Bear.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Daughter drew her 3rd Wis. bear tag this year.

We started 2 baits in July one was being hit regularly. The other never was touched.

We moved that and started another the first of Aug.

The one we moved only was hit once a weak for a total of 4 times before season.

The one we started was hit several times a week by multiple bears. A sow with 4 cubs, A big boar in the 400lb Plus range and a couple in the 125lb range.

The 3rd bait was being hit by 3 bears a boar in the 250 range and a couple in the 100lb range.

About a week before season the acorns fell and the baits went cold.

We only had one bait hit the entire season and that bear was shot by someone else.

So I called up my hound owning friend and had some days set up to hunt with the dogs.

His baits also went dead and they were having a hard time with the bears also.

By the time we went with him a few baits started to get hit.

We went out with him once and nothing the bears all came in early then it rained the dogs could not pick up the scent.

On the next Saturday we had some friends over for dinner. One was a local guide he had 24 clients this year and they only killed 8 bears the first week.

He told us the same thing that his baits went dead also. His kill rate in a good year is around 70 percent with a few passing up smaller bears.

He said that he had a bait was had been active but he hadn't baited it for a few days and we were welcome to use it.

The next day I went and baited it and put a camera on it. The next morning the wife and I baited again and pulled the chip.

The bait had been hit after dark and there was just a 50lb. bear on it.

I said lets leave it sit another day a bad mistake. That after noon a bear in the 300lb and one about 150 came in.

In the broad day light. my daughter sat on that bait for another 4 afternoons and the bears never came back.

By that time we had been out with the hounds another two times and same scenario early bears and rain.

My guide friend said he would start a bait again behind his house. He said that had two very good bears on it. One of his hunter missed a bear on that bait.

It was hit the first night in the dark by a 400plus and one around 300.

I told him that the other bait was dead he said come over and sit on this one.

By this time my daughter had over 14 mornings and afternoons sitting on baits and a few mornings out with the hounds.

I had to call her up and say you can't kill them at home.

She said if you come other and take care of the chickens she would go out. I agreed to that.

By the time I went over she was gone. We had a dinner get together planned at 6pm. I told her to skip it the other quests would understand.

At 615 we were eating and my phone went off it was my daughter.

I said how big is it.

She said I blew it.

The bear came in and just as she pulled her rifle up and slipped the safety off the bear jumped and ran.

I said you have about another hour of legal light relax and watch, it could come back.

About 645 the phone rings again and she is whispering it is in the brush I can hear it, but can't see it.

I was right in the middle of my desert and said well wait until in shows it's self and hung up.

About two minutes later she calls it still there I said why are you talking to me wait for it to show it self.

She whispers I shot it, it moaned.

I said why are you whispering, it's dead.

That was its dead moan.

So her husband and I headed over.

I never had been on that property before and called her, and asked how do we find you.

Just then the owner pulled up and we made ready to out bring it in and headed back to the stand.

By then my daughter is really excited that we are taking so long.

As we approached the stand she yells come on run it's taken you long enough.

We walk to the bait my daughter tells us where the bear was standing and where it ran to.

We can't find any blood right there and start our search.

About 30 feet away from the bait.

I found it laying dead. A perfect center shoulder shot no blood trail.

She was using her LH Ruger stainless MKII 06 with 180gr Hornaday SP at around 2700 pushed by a load of IMR4831.

My daughter asked me for the gloves and knife but seeing her shaking from excitement I told her I would field dress it for her.

She has field dressed her other bears and many deer.

A very nice boar field dressed right around 300lbs.

My friend has a walk in cooler we skinned it and hung it.

A very happy excited daughter after a long frustrating season.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Bears are always a fun hunt.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Pics pics where are the pics?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations good on her Big Grin tu2

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is excellent I would love to kill a bear that size.

In fact I would like to kill one more bear as long as it is bigger than the one I killed.

We did not weigh it but my guess is that it weighed around 150.

I ain't greedy I wouldn't turn down another that size, but one around 200 would be really nice.

Same with a moose, I would love to kill one bigger than the one I shot on Newfoundland.

Congratulations to your daughter for hanging in there and getting her bear. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pics pics where are the pics?

My daughters has all the pictures. Might be a bit before I get some

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got done skning and quartering the bear.

The 180gr Hornaday entered the center of the right shoulder.

Traveling at a slight angle to the rear exiting the rib cage about half way back.

Leaving about a inch exit hole in the fat.

As stated the bear traveled about 30 feet.

Both entering wound and exit wound were full of fat thus not much of a blood trail.

One could not ask for better shot placement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is excellent I would love to kill a bear that size.

Yes it is a really nice bear.

The avg bear killed in Wis. a few years back was 140lb's.

Her first was 235 the 2nd was over 500 and now this one.

Our family has been lucky in shooting nice bears.

Over the last 50 years of bear hunting for me I have shot two small Friday bears.

Meaning bears to fill my tag towards the last days I could hunt and they were about 130 lbs very good eating but not very big.

All the rest were over two hundred pounds.

If I had the money and I was hunting for a heavy bear.

I would book a hunt with Capt. Purvis in Carolina.

He has some brutes there.

If I wanted a mountain experience I would go with Doug McMann in BC.

Time and money is all it takes.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Or hunt on my deck ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOnuMK1dZwI

Congrats to your daughter and you!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Or hunt on my deck ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOnuMK1dZwI

Congrats to your daughter and you!

Yea we have had the same problem here one cannot leave bird feeders out when there is no snow on the ground.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Nice job!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Glad to hear your daughter was successful. It has definitely been a difficult year for bear.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think she also learned a very valuable lesson.

That is they always don't come easy and to keep at it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a winner there..My daughter was a hunter ands shot a number of deer, but after she married and got older she quit hunting for the most part, and just goes along taking care of her dad who she doesn't want out there by himself..I guess that's oK if it makes her feel better..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
just goes along taking care of her dad who she doesn't want out there by himself..I guess that's oK if it makes her feel better..

Does she gut em for you