THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I have struck again! (Picture and Story)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have struck again! (Picture and Story)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Texas deer season just keeps getting better. After shooting a B&C buck last month in South Texas I wasn't planning on taking another trophy buck. But on my way home early this afternoon I happened to see a nice buck chasing a doe about a hundred yards from my fenceline. I took some video since I was still on a public road. This was a good deer for my area of Central Texas. The buck finally chased the doe into the brush and I lost sight of them. I picked some stuff up at the house and headed back to my office. It didn't take long for me to finish up my work so I could head back to the house and look for the buck I had seen earlier. I have a 10 acre food plot within a couple of hundred yards where the deer was seen.

We have a bumper crop of acorns this year and the deer are not coming to the food plots like they usually do. But I thought it was worth a try to sit on the food plot. There were several small showers of rain that came through and I was getting soaked as well as dejected not seeing any deer. It was about 10 minutes of shooting time left when I saw movement at the edge of the food plot. It was a lone doe! Then from another side a small buck appeared. I kept an eye on the doe because she had to be the one the buck was chasing earlier. It would be to dark to shoot in a couple more minutes with the heavy overcast skies. She was about 50 yards out in the food plot when I saw the good buck step out of the brush. He just stood on the edge but wouldn't come out any further. He we go again. Crunch time! Daylight is fading and it's now or never. About 150 yards. Crosshairs on the neck. Calm down and take a deep breath. Squeeze that trigger. Boom! Whop! I see a flash of white in the scope as the rifle recoils. He's down. The ole Blaser 7mm Mag claims another victim. Not a giant by South Texas standards but an excellent buck for middway between houston and san antonio. Unofficial scores....Gross 146 3/8 Net 144 3/8. Plenty good enough to make the Texas book for this area that has a 125 minimum. Here is a picture.

I still have my South Texas ranch to hunt yet so who know's .....it could happen again....stay tuned

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, that's a moose here in Kali!

Nice deer!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never thought I'd tell a man this, but...

NICE RACK!

Congrats

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Wow again

Good for you.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
"not a giant..." Hell, I'd be tickled pink with that buck anywhere! Good going.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
ADDABOY!!

Please put him on the wall!