Find
Notify
Tools

Accubond versus 225 pound hog
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
While I don't care for its performance (too much of a good thing) on light, thin-skinned game like our central Texas deer, the 7mm, 140 grain Accubond continues to prove its mettle on hardier game. This evening, I was able to make a 175 yard shot on a mature hog (225 pounds). The boar was quartering away, and the shot entered through the rear-center of the ribcage, wrecked a good portion of the innards, including a third of the liver and most of the lungs, and left a quarter-sized exit through the front edge of the opposite-side shoulder.

The bullet had a muzzle velocity of app. 3150 fps from a 28" Encore ProHunter barrel. The load: 58 grains of Re-22 & a Fed 210 primer in once-fired Rem brass.

Granted, the shot wasn't all that difficult, and most hunting bullets of 140 grains or more would have done the job quite nicely. But I like the fact that the AB did it efficiently and with authority -- not to mention left an exit, something I have come to expect of it. In fact, the hog dropped so fast that I did not see him go down. Now if Nosler would just hurry up and get the 6.5mm version of the Accubond out there............

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby
All I can say is "shame on you for shooting the liver". thumbdown

Actually, good going, sometimes it is necessary to hit the liver or heart to kill them. However I have found the heart and liver on a wild pig to be good eating.

225 lbs is a perfect eating hog, well done. thumb Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
On a quartering shot such as I had, shooting through a small portion of the liver to get to the lungs in unavoidable. And, there was no time to wait for a fully broadside presentation.

Yes, the liver can be good eating, but on a fully mature hog, oft-times the liver is not fit for human consumption. This particular hog was at least 6 years old.

The liver did have a number of greenish-brown spots throughout. You'll find that where the animals consume stagnant water, the liver, many times, it not salvageable.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
You may have all the heart, liver, brain, tongue, from every animal I'll ever shoot. Just can't seem to to enjoy them at a meal. thumbdown
And this comes from one one of Uncle Sam's previous "snake eaters."

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love liver and onions...But have ghout so I stay a long way away from all organ meat. Congrats on the shot. On the 6.5, do you shoot the 6.5 swede or the 6.5/06 ?

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Liver, along with the kidneys, the waste managing organs of the body. Look on them as the dump. If there is a toxin in the body; guess where the best place is to start looking for it?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Lost Oki- I shoot the 6.5x55 -- several of them, actually. I had 2 6.5-06s for a while but sold them. I also shoot various medium-capacity 6.5s in Contender rifle and pistol barrels.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
Liver, along with the kidneys, the waste managing organs of the body. Look on them as the dump. If there is a toxin in the body; guess where the best place is to start looking for it?

Don't eat no guts!!!

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:

Don't eat no guts!!!

I don't eat the "filters" either. Pump's OK, but no thanks on the toxic waste filters.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote