New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tennessee Deer Hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have family that recently moved south of Nashville, and was thinking about doing a little deer hunting when I go visit next fall. I am just wondering what the hunting is like? I know that in that area you can shoot a doe a day and there is a three buck limit, but what is the terrain like and what does an average size buck score. Thanks for any input.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Likely your biggest problem like it is in TX is gaining access to property to hunt.

What county are they in?
or
Nearest town?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They live in Williamson County.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There will be places you can hunt. The choice will be public deer hunting which you can gain ready access to (I personally avoid that - I consider it dangerous), or private, which will take longer to make connections. Ask your family way in advance who they know who owns land and what kind of connections they can help you make. It can be done on your own, but you have to meet lots of people in the rural areas. There will also be deer clubs, but it's the same story there. There should be plenty of deer in that county. You just have to figure out how to get unto them.

The terrain will be mostly rolling hills with some rocky outcroppings, and mixed woods and fields. Deer size will be roughly same as anywhere in the southeastern U.S. Lots of does, button bucks, spikes, forkhorns, 6, 7s and small 8s. Bigger ones are there but generally travel by night and are rare.

I'm over in W. Tenn., but used to live in Nashville. So all that's an educated guess that it's about the same as west of the TN River. Anyway, we have members here from the greater Nashville area, which Williamson is part of. Maybe they can steer you unto something. But, trying to work your way into a quality situation on short notice for a brief trip will take some luck. There's competition for good hunting spots. Hope that helps...

Btw, you can check out the Williamson County results here and compare with other counties - http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/biggamereport.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are visiting family and get a chance to do a little deer hunting with them, what does it matter what the buck scores? Isn't being able to hunt with family the main thing? Anytime I get to hunt with family, I treasure the hunt and don't care about antlers. The memories are the more impotant thing.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering about the average bucks in the area, since I've never hunted there. I've shot enough bucks and I'd rather let an average buck walk and take a doe.