THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Montana weather report.........RAIN!!!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana weather report.........RAIN!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a call from one of my NY hunters regarding the weather out here and the drought/fire situation. Last year it was so dry at the start of bow season that many Ranches closed down for fear of man/vehicle caused fires.

We've had some recent rains in Central MT and today it is REALLY raining. The upcoming WEEK is supposed to be wet with unseasonably COOL temps and frequent rain and thunderstorms. There was even a FLOOD ALERT in northern L&C County for the areas that had been burned out last year. The prediction for the next ten days is for wet/cool weather.

I am in no small way responsible for the rain and cool weather. EVERY time I buy a new motorcycle we then have RECORD WET weather. Picked up a new Beemer last Saturday and here we go.......RAIN.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank-good to know who to call if we need rain...grins, seriously I hope you like your new bike.

I am gonna be your way to chase bruins the 14- about the 18 of Sept perhaps we'll have to meet. If I can just get away from calling those pesky bruins.

On a last note it sure is great to see this rain isn't it, so much nice than worrying about fires. I imagine it'll really get after it about the time I head for bear camp. Guess I'll have to pack my woolies after all.

Have a great week on the road.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

any chance Frank you have a supply of those 217 Swifts in 338 cal they ran a couple of years back? I'd love to run them in my 338/300 WSM.

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, that figures. I'll be arriving in less than a week and stay for about another two weeks. Expect the weather to turn sunny again about the time I'm scheduled to go home...

Btw, happy you are getting some rain (even if it seems a bit much with these floodwarnings!), it has been a few dry years. So I guess you could use a little rain.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

DO try to get a hold of me in Sept. I will be home with my Jersey Cousin chasing elk up on the Dearborn. (468-2466)

NO 217gr Swifts but I do have a lone box of 225 gr .338" Swifts. My .338-06 may very well spend the season in the safe. I'm intending to use the new Freedom Arms .45 colt to take my deer and elk this season.

REALLY raining here currently. Gotta Love it!!

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the problem Frank, you waited too long to get your BMW. I got a new bike last fall and it's been wet and cool all summer this year. Glad to hear you guys are getting the rain though. It's been a tough stretch for the West the past few years. Keep the shiny side up.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank: Visualize SW Montana in August and then try and visualize rain in that picture! I have now completed four days of Mt. Goat scouting in the last ten days and it rained every day I was in the mountains! 3 days were medium to heavy rain and the fourth was mist with heat lightning thrown in. Speaking of lightning we got ran off three different mountains yesterday by lightning wind and rain and it rained all night here last night in Dillon!

The Bear poops and the Elk poops were large and robust in the alpine country though! I saw one HUGE Blackie in the Snowcrests last week!

The grass in the high Elk country is taller and thicker than I have ever seen! My partners and I actually run around the high country trying to find a "crunchy (noisey!) weed" to step on and they are impossible to find!

Elk and Deer are all chubby and not a rib seen for months now.

Yes this rain is better than forest fires and smoke. Rain is predicted for the next three days here in SW Montana. And its raining now!

My neighbor is sending for plans to build an Ark!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any chance you could do your "thing" up here in the Interior? We've basicaly had no rain all summer & fires have run rampant. In fact some of the smoke from the fires here & in northern Canada have been wafting their way to you folks in Mont. Usually, late July & Aug. is our rainy season but certainly not this year. We're not supposed to have +80 deg. in Aug. Gonna play havock taking care of a moose if we get one. The season starts Sep't. 1. Good luck on your trip. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank
You can blame the rain on me. Every time I schedule some time off to do anything outdoors it will rain! I am leaving Wednesday to go Salmon fishing in BC and the weather is forecast to be rain the whole week!! Now I just have to figure out how to market my rainmaking ability to the farmers and I will be rich!!
Russ

PS. The 300 H&H dies you sold me are working very well. The old 721 will keep them inside 1" if I do my part!!

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Off the topic of rain but to me that 721/H&H combo is one neat old rifle, I'll take that over a short ultra fag or a long ultra fag any old day....grins

Still raining here, great day to do some loading and fire up the George Foreman and do some elk burgers, perhaps go an scout 4 bruins later today.

Dogz

"GTTH"

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote