THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Who's gonna rebarrel the Rem M700 titanium to a SHORT MAG?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's gonna rebarrel the Rem M700 titanium to a SHORT MAG?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Okay, who's gonna be the first to do it?

We need a report on a .300 Short RUM or .300 WSM in the titanium action.

Will the bolt open up to the magnum size face?

Sounds like a great mountain rifle to me!

(even though it'll probably kick like a pissed mule)

Whataya think? [Confused]

[ 08-07-2002, 09:43: Message edited by: Kenati ]

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine here had it done already-just got it back.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Kenati:

I've been thinkin' about it but was a little spooked by the recoil potential too. Then I ran some numbers and came up with something surprising....

Assume you rebarrel @ 24" with say a .650 muzzle dia. You'd be in with about a 7lb gun scoped.

Recoil of a 300 WSM in a 7.0 lb gun...35 ft. lb.
Recoil of a 300 win.in a 8.5 lb gun...35 ft. lb.

Not too bad huh???

(300 WSM/180/65 gr. pwdr/3000 fps.)
(300 Win/180/75 gr. pwdr/3100 fps.)

I agree, heckuva mountain gun!! (mine is a 7-08)

JimF

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I like those numbers, Jim.

Thanks.

Mark:

Let us know what kind of results/opinions your friend has. I think it'll be interesting!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purchased my 700 Ti in 30-06: very pleased with the rifle, topped with Leupold 3x9 compact on Leupold DD rings/bases. I was very careful breaking in the barrel, the rifle will group between 3/4" and 1" with 57.0 grains of H4350, 180 grain Nosler Partition, Lapua case and Fed primer - I have thought about what I would do in the future should I tire of this caliber and think I will move up to 338-06 - will not have to do anything to the boltface, just rebarrel and rechamber - if Remington would offer this rifle in 338-06, I believe it would be quite a seller for them. KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be way all over it if they sold it in a 338/06-I'd be begging for the first one!!!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Mark, KMule,

Don't hold your breath for a Ti in 338-06.....

Marketing: It already has the "A-Square" name.
Marketing: It would have to renamed "338-06 Remington Super ultra whammy killer diller" (or some such)
Marketing: It does not have a 3000 fps. load to advertise.
Marketing: Recoil in a 6.5 lb Ti would be about 36 ft. lbs. "Ferocious recoil" was one of the things that killed the .350 magnum (a very useful caliber)

Uhhhh...ya think marketing might be tough???

BTW, I agree in principle with your desires for such a gun. I've built up a 338-08 that weighs about 5lb. 12 oz. scoped..........Sweeet!!

JimF

[ 08-08-2002, 05:36: Message edited by: JimF ]

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 3/4 lb ULA 300WSM, and it doesn't kick too bad. This sounds like a good project. Now, if they'd only make em in left-handed versions. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Mark R Dobrenski (or anybody else with similar experience),

I know it was over a year ago when I first posted this, but...

Are there any updates on your buddy's rifle?

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenati--he likes the feel of the rifle but it does not win any eating contest (feeding that is). It has lost some room in the basement and it doesn't do much if any that my 270 doesn't (his is 7 SAUM). So....... he is a wondering why oh why he did it.

Just a report.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Ps--I'd still love a 338/06 in one.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks for writing back! Who knows? Remington might actually chamber for the "magnum" rounds and leave more room in the basement. (Just for shits and giggles of course)

-Kenati