THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I nice black bear just crossed the yard

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I nice black bear just crossed the yard
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had just finshed dinner with the family when the wife said a bear. I got up and looked out the window and said thats a nice bear.

I go a good look at him for about a min. a good weight guess would but him 300lbs plus. Nice coat it would be a good one for my daughter to wack this fall.

She drew a wis bear tag after a 7 year wait.
Iam going to try and talk her into using my ruger no.3 in 45-70 with a 460gr hard cast. She shot it last weekend and had no trouble hitting close the point of aim.

I belive it was the same bear I had to chase off the deck week or so ago had a very good look at him through the window at about 5 feet away.

Wis bear population is just booming I belive its the 5 or 6th bear I seen this spring.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here along the Yukon, if a bear shows up a second time around the house; it is shot on the spot. You see, bear figure out pretty quick theres better food inside your house than out.

I've seen bear go through windows, knock heavy doors off their hinges, and if you spike everything; then they start chewing the logs at corners; they will get in.

I had one buddy who thought seeing that momma grizz and her cubs walk the creek at back end of his yard was too cool; until she killed all his geese and his house dog.

Another buddy had a blk bear hanging around. That bear actually watched him come and go. Broke in middle of the day on a saturday while he was shopping in town. Came home to a bear in the house that wouldn't leave, pooped all over, tore up, and ended up being shot in one of the bedrooms; true story. I could smell that bear in that cabin for months.

No joke, bear on the porch is bad news; he's coming in before long. Bear are nothing more than dangerous pests.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I once was talking to a girlfriend of mine by my sisters house.she says"Is that a bear?"I turned around and was looking at a rather large black bear,at maybe 50 ft distance.
Before I could move,the bear turned and ran back the way he had came,busting brush for quite a few seconds in his haste to retreat.
That weekend,a neighbor got him on his bear bait pile ,on the first morning of season.he weighed in at 615 lbs.

I thought he looked big. shocker

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish we could do away with trouble causing bears here. No such luck he better be coming in side or attacking or the DNR is going to throw the book at you.

A sad state of affairs.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose if one was down on the Kenai, shot a bear along river with hundreds of fisherman shoulder to shoulder; somebody might complain and F&G would fine ya unless you could prove otherwise.

But, out in rural Alaska, even in the MatSu; shooting bear is seen as your public duty. Wife and I have taught in schools where the kids bring guns to school, right on the school bus. Reason is that a grizz has been seen walking the road. Once kids get to school, guns would be kept in locker until the end of the day. No joke, once a bear has been seen, nobody gives a hoot about laws; when it comes to their kids. If somebody was to make a comment; they'd get their head knocked off or worse. Of course when you personally know people who have been mauled; you see it all in a different light.

Twice, I have had young black bear come in on me like a cat on a rabbit; front quarters down, butt in the air; ears going back and forth like crazy. It will spook you out.

When we lived back east many years back, bears would take off at whiff of man. Here in Alaska, they want to get a taste of ya. Many have never seen a person; so maybe thats why it is seen differently back east.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote