Find
Notify
Tools

The Law Changed.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
This is from the latest TP&W Weekly News Report.

Why it’s Called Road Hunting, Duh!

On opening weekend of dove season, a Presidio County game warden was patrolling for hunting activity on Highway 170 when he observed a suspicious vehicle parked on the side of the road. As he got closer to the vehicle, he noticed two hunters tucked along the fence-line facing toward the highway. The warden informed the hunters that they were hunting the roadway, to which one of the hunters stated that he owned land in the area and stated a game warden said it was alright to hunt at least 30 feet away from the road. The same hunter went on to tell the warden it has been 21 years since he has seen a game warden. Citations were issued to the hunters for hunting on the public roadway. The case is pending.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's either hunt the 30' of public right of way or stay home...

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They should have just your right and moved back the 30 some feet.

Sounds like they talked themselves into the citations.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
pds is right. It's amazing what a little common sense and common courtesy does as opposed to
the "F - you approach through actions or words"

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this was the aspect that caused the problem:
quote:
he noticed two hunters tucked along the fence-line facing toward the highway.

Had they been facing away from the highway there would have been no problem!

it's either hunt the 30' of public right of way or stay home...

It does not work that way in Texas. The area between the road surface and the fence line belongs to the State not the Public.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
According to Texas WP.

"It is unlawful to hunt on public roads or the right-of-way of public roads."

Says nothing about what direction your facing.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It is unlawful to hunt on public roads or the right-of-way of public roads."

Whatever you think, but if a person is setting in the Right-Of-Way and Not on the inside of the fence on Private Land, it does not matter which way they are facing!

Once they cross the fence on to Private Land, providing they have permission, they can face whatever direction they want to!

Point is, these guys were Not on Private Land, they were setting in the Highway Right Of Way, so it does not matter which way they were facing it was being where they were that caused the problem!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
CHC,

These are your words from your post above:

"Had they been facing away from the highway there would have been no problem!"

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had they been facing away from the highway there would have been no problem!

Yes, I did write that.

Then I corrected that statement in my response to the response you made!

quote:
Whatever you think, but if a person is setting in the Right-Of-Way and Not on the inside of the fence on Private Land, it does not matter which way they are facing!

Once they cross the fence on to Private Land, providing they have permission, they can face whatever direction they want to!

Point is, these guys were Not on Private Land, they were setting in the Highway Right Of Way, so it does not matter which way they were facing it was being where they were that caused the problem!

I made a mistake and when it was pointed out corrected it as best I can.