New
Find
Notify
Tools

new rifle or new bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you want to take lung shots, or shoulder shots? Personally, I like shoulder shots to anchor animals very quickly and not have to do any tracking. In this case, premium bullets are almost required as I've seen Cup & Core bullets fail to go through bones, or lose more then 50% of their weight after doing so (and requiring follow up shots and tracking, sometimes 1+ day of tracking) But if you want to take lung shots and are willing to do some follow up if needed (not always needed) then plane jane bullets work just fine.

I have used various 300 mags (Win, WSM, Wby) because I do like the extra range over the 30-06 I get, and my choice is more about range then power. I've never used a 30-06, because I just don't like them, but there is nothing wrong with it either. If you want a new gun (who doesn't want a new gun?!?!!) and decide to step up to a magnum, just be sure you can handle the extra recoil, I have noticed the slight velocity bumps add more then just a slight bump in felt recoil. However, I would step over the 300 Win/WSM and go to the Wby in a Vanguard (cheap and accurate to boot) to really justify stepping up. 100-200fps more isn't much, but 2-400fps increase is a whole new ball game.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corax:
Now that I have a new grandson, I am absolutely paranoid about him ingesting any lead, so am switching to Barnes TSX (my moose bullet this year).

Then you better watch out for this:
Copper Toxicity Syndrome

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
quote:
Originally posted by Corax:
Now that I have a new grandson, I am absolutely paranoid about him ingesting any lead, so am switching to Barnes TSX (my moose bullet this year).

Then you better watch out for this:
Copper Toxicity Syndrome

If it isn't one thing it is antother.Wink