New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corelokt bullets on elk anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone use Remington. Corelokt bullets on elk? Comments pro or con?

Posts: 10375 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed one elk cow with a .280 and a 150gr core lokt bullet. Had I known I was gonna be elk hunting instead of just mule deer hunting, I would have had a different rig, but it worked well enough.
I'm gonna guess that there are more elk/mule deer killed each year with a 30-06 and core lokt bullets than all the rest combined.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thousands of Elk have been killed with that bullet.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep , killed 4 with 300wm with 180 CL.
Killed a moose with 130 grain CL in a .270, 3 caribou with CL , 1 black bear, Several Muleys, tons of white tails. Shot a Leopard, gemsbok, zebra, warthog, springbok. Love em.

Great bullet and several of my rifles love them.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
My son got his first cow elk with a 130g PSP Corelokt out of the 270 I handed down to him using Rem factory ammo. I was sick at the time and couldn't handload him my favorite load of 150g Partitions at 3000 fps. His first shot knocked it down while it was running at 150 yards, he walked up and put a finishing shot in.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I'm gonna guess that there are more elk/mule deer killed each year with a 30-06 and core lokt bullets than all the rest combined.
I read somewhere that Remington Core Lokt bullets have potentially killed more big game than all other bullets combined and Remington's sales numbers for the last several DECADES supports this statement.

I have used them, my friends have used them. Just like any other brand and type, they work in some rifles, and not in others.
It's about bullet placement more than the bullet itself.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and I still use them. Hand loaded 130 gr. CLs in my 270 Win. (Bought them in volume years ago.) I have killed 4 cows, 1 spike, 1 rag horn. Plus mule deer and Whitetails, 5 black bear, 2 pronghorns and 1 Mountain Goat. If I use my 270 I use 130 grain CLs. My wife uses them in her 270 as well.

Never been less than 100% satisfied.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have not used them on elk yet, I have used them on African plains game from steenbok up to and including eland and will use them again!!

These I used were 220 grain corelokt out of a 30-06.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington Corelokt and Sierra Gamekings are way,way,way underrated on this forum!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Remington Corelokt and Sierra Gamekings are way,way,way underrated on this forum!

Both were and are good bullets. The problem the Partitions and other premium bullets were addressing was the ability to expand at long ranges (Sierra's have always been good at this) and hold together on high velocity short range shots that sometimes hit bone (shoulder,etc). The Corelokt's were kind of pretty good at everything but not really good at anything. Good at medium to medium high velocities (2700 fps) on short range shots, good at expanding up to about 300 to 350 yards.

The Partition is far from perfect, but for North American game it's pretty close.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have used rem CL on elk: .300 160gr
bison: .30-06 180 gr
kudu: .300 180 gr
gemsbok: .300 180 gr
wildebeest: .300 180gr
they worked well each time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked my dad how many elk he killed with his 30-06 shooting Core-Lokt's. He came up with 19. An assortment of bulls and cows over the years. As he recalls, only one took two shots, and it didn't really need it. He used factory Remington ammo with 180gr Core-Lokt's for everything.

At appropriate velocity, it is a well performing bullet. Premium bullets are for magnums, good cup and core bullets are top performers in non-magnums. IMHO.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
One of the staff writers for Eastman's Magazine did a modest comparison of .308/180gr. bullets for a summer 2012 issue.

I was somewhat surprised at how deeply the Core-lokt penetrated (the only bullets that penetrated further were the monolithics & the partition).

I was also mildly surprised at how much weight it retained - about 70%. Expansion, of course was excellent. The test media was that green-goo thingy.

Now, as someone's signature line hints at, the scope of this Eastman test was so small one should not draw any final conclusions. It was interesting to me in the direction it pointed - that cup & core bullets are not so far behind the premiums in performance.

It was also interesting to me that the partition indicated a much smaller wound channel than what I would have guessed - smaller, in fact, than nearly every other bullet.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Navaluk
Thou I didn't use corelocks I have killed a lifetime worth of game with the 270 and 130 grn bullets.
I have to say that you are the one of the few people I have ever heard say the same.
Always felt "enough gun" with this set up and
thinking "don't let me within this distance
(add game animal) or you're smoked"

Tip of the hat to you, Sir beer

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I haven't killed much with a .270

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I've been using them out of 30/06 since 1978. I've killed @ 25 elk with 180 grain "Core-lokt"--both the Round nose & PSP. They work just fine. Shots were from 25 yards out to 225. Most were @ 150 yards.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Why???? Unless you have a pet load and your rifle absolutely loves them or Rem factory ammo.

There are so many vastly superior bullets, Barnex TSX, Trophy-Bonded Tip, Swift A-frame, CEB Raptor, Accubonds, Partitions, Hornadys, that one should have a really good reason before compromising on your bullet!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt99:
Why???? Unless you have a pet load and your rifle absolutely loves them or Rem factory ammo.

There are so many vastly superior bullets, Barnex TSX, Trophy-Bonded Tip, Swift A-frame, CEB Raptor, Accubonds, Partitions, Hornadys, that one should have a really good reason before compromising on your bullet!

As posted, core lokt bullets have killed more game than all of the rest combined. You stick a core lokt bullet in an animal and he dies. Pretty straight forward, huh.
What is your yardstick for determining a "superior bullets'? Cost?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have taken them elk hunting but not shot any elk. I have used them in my 30-06 to shoot animals up to and including oryx. Worked fine for me.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
deadliest mushroom in the woods Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
quote:
Originally posted by hunt99:

As posted, core lokt bullets have killed more game than all of the rest combined. You stick a core lokt bullet in an animal and he dies. Pretty straight forward, huh.
What is your yardstick for determining a "superior bullets'? Cost?

Exactly!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is both interesting and disturbing to see the impact of marketing on people. Look at hunt99 who is not alone. Somebody told him those bullets were superior and he bought it. Now like a Minnesota Vikings fan, no logical argument as to his error, will have any effect.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
Now like a Minnesota Vikings fan, no logical argument as to his error, will have any effect.

Hey! I am a Vikings fan, and I'm not impressed with the "premium" bullet thing at all. Maybe you were meaning to say Raiders?
More game has been killed, and conclusions reached from behind a keyboard, than all the real world experiences combined.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I meant Raiders, especially since they just got the political punter the Vikes let go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the exception of one cow elk I have used factory loaded Remington CL ammo to take the few elk that I have shot. First elk I shot was with a .243Win and 100gr CL. Have used the Remington Extended range 122gr out of 25-06. And 150gr out of 7mmRem Mag. The one cow elk that I didn't use factory ammo on was a 200gr Sierra Game King out of 300WM. I had both bull and cow tags so I decided on one load.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt99 drank the Kool aid. To use the words "vastly superior" is absurd. I have taken most of my 21 N American species and several African species with Core Lokts and have a cigar box full of beautiful mushroomed CL. As to distance--shot an Elk bull at 400 yds and a Muley at 325, neither went 10 yds. I prefer experience over marketing dept. BS. There are a lot of great bullets out there now but vastly superior NOT.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR members,
The reason I started this post was to see what the grass roots uses. I have been using Federal ammo loaded with Barnes Triple Shock bullets. Apparently, Barnes is selling their own line of ammo now and Federal quit selling ammo loaded with the TSX bullet. I am tired of paying double for "premium ammo" for plains game and North American game.

I used Coreloks many years ago but had not heard much about them. Glad to hear they still "work".

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Posts: 10375 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

I love the Barnes TSX and several of my African battery are sighted in with them, but some of the African stuff needs the best constructed bullet you can find, but North American game just doesn't(for the most part), and I have never found a reason to let go of my Core Lokts.

I quit shooting Wby calibers because they didn't kill any better and the ammo cost was ridiculous.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed all my bull elk with Remington 180 grain Corelokt .30-06 bullets. I have heard a theory -- one that seems sound to me -- that the Corelokt was developed to work well in the .30-06, at velocities commonly achieved in the .30-06, and on game commonly hunted with the .30-06, and in this application it works very, very well.

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is both interesting and disturbing to see the impact of marketing on people. Look at hunt99 who is not alone. Somebody told him those bullets were superior and he bought it. Now like a Minnesota Vikings fan, no logical argument as to his error, will have any effect.

I haven't bought anything other than 30+ years of hunting experience. In addition to being used successfully on so many animals, Core-Lokts have probably failed to perform and kill more animals cleanly than anything else. This is only from my own painful experience of lost animals hit right in the boiler room. Funny how that has never happened again after abandoning the fabled Core-Lokt! Also interesting when the opinions are coming from people in locations with 100 lb. whitetails!!! I believe the topic was about using Core-lokts on elk. They are no doubt fine for itty bitty whitetails.

If Core-Lokts are so great then let's get a list of all the whitetail hunters out there that will go try Core-Lokts out on Cape Buffalo!!!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt99 if you get your knickers in a twist over me killing Elk, Black Bear and Mountain Goat plus Whitetails and Mule deer with 130 gr CLs than you better sit down for this......I have killed Brown bear and Polar Bear plus Derby Eland with Silvertips. And believe it or not I wasn't even wearing camouflage when I did it. (I have pictures to prove it) According to modern marketing, as seen on TV, I'm the luckiest hunter alive.

You also remind me of my Uncles' favorite saying. It's the poor workman that blames his tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well golly, I don't know how they would perform on Cape Buffalo as they are kinda thin here in middle TN. But I don't really think that is the intended use for the core Lokt bullets. Nor do I think they are intended for use at warp speed out of some uberboomer.
Sorry to hear about your poor results. Are you telling us that you made some "perfect heart shots" and the animal ran off never to be found?

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes I meant Raiders, especially since they just got the political punter the Vikes let go.

No you had it right the first time.Them Queens fans is a cut below the rest!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as bullets in a Rifle,whatever I have on hand is what I use.They all work when you put them where it is needed.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Temper, temper! Remember to play well with each other....

I was focused on Corelokts on non-dangerous North American game in particular. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

I agree that hitting the animal in a "killing" spot is the best assurance of killing the animal.