THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Mt. Elk Hunt To Be Cut - WOLVES To Blame!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mt. Elk Hunt To Be Cut - WOLVES To Blame!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted
Quote:

Can any of you Wyoming folks point me toward documentes that show the broken promises from the feds reguarding the wolf reintroduction? KevD

I don't save my newspapers for over 9 years ('94 - '95 when reintroduction was being proposed) nor do I record the news on TV from '94 or '95 and I doubt if you do either.

But I do distinctly recall hearing and being told when I attended the meetings on reintroduction that they (the Feds) only wanted (in Wyoming) the wolves in Yellowstone and the Yellowstone ecosystem. Reason I remember this so well is because I asked them how they were going to ensure us the wolves would stop at their imaginary line and NOT run all over the state.

Remember, Wyomings plan allows for CONTROLLED hunting in the areas where the wolf is designated a "Trophy" animal meaning if the number of wolves in that area fall below XXX number or XX breeding pairs the taking of wolves would stop! But the wolf would be designated as a predator in the rest of the state to be shot on sight. Now I remind you this in where the Feds indicated the wolf WOULD NOT spread into.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
458RugerNo1: I agree with your sentiments exactly! I however hesitate to shoot one here in Montana under normal circumstances! To date in my county (Beaverhead County that is way west of Gardiner, Montana!) alone they have "legally" killed exactly 30 Wolves in the last 3 years! These Wolves were killed while predating on domestic livestock!
Remember that Wolves each eat the "bio-mass" equivalent of 1.8 Elk per month! That is 21.6 Elk "bio-masses" per year per Wolf! And the Wolves have also been documented killing Moose, Big Horn Sheep and Deer throughout SW Montana!
I am afraid the Wolves will soon bring to an end the Hunting of Big Game in the Rocky Mountains - as we know it today!
I will travel to Wyoming and harvest some Wolves this winter though! They have been declared "predators" in all of Wyoming (outside of Yellowstone) and the county and state officials will not prosecute a Wolf Hunter there! I am not sure about those sons of bitches and daughters of whores in the federal bureacracy though!
Thanks for NOTHING rmef!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, as it stands right now, can any hunter legally kill a wolf in the US?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Doc, see RMEF.org. Fundamentally, the RMEF supports management of wolves by the States (like all other wildlife). The RMEF had no role (positive or negative) in the wolf introduction, appropriately, since it is a habitat conservation organization.

Personally, I don't think I know of any RMEF members that supported the re-introduction. Just wish Wyoming would get off there duff and get their management plan done, so we can get the Feds and the Tribes out of our hair, and go to issuing tags. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not south of Alaska.
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
No, Wyoming State legislature is grand-standing. It is holding up the transfer of management to the states by submitting management plans they know won't be accepted by the Feds (shoot on sight outside of Yellowstone). Until they get off their high horse.... every rancher and hunter has to suffer for the egos of a few.... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, does anyone know about wolves being poached then? Surely there are some ranchers/hunters that run across wolves out west where they shoot them and leave them.

I would assume that with all the vastness of the west, there have been a few folks that have decided that a good wolf is a dead one.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my ignorance but will you explain to me the rmef's role in wolf populations and re-introduction? I used to be a member til I started hearing all of this negative stuff regarding wolves.

I am no longer a rmef member but living here in Ohio it is hard to stay abreast of what is going on.