Find
Notify
Tools

Reputable Mule Deer Outfitter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
I'm from PA and thinking of planning a western mule deer hunt or possibly a combo elk/mule deer hunt.

Anyone willing to share a great experience and recommend an outfitter?

Thanks.

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for rifle or archery hunting and what is your trophy potential that would make you happy?

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I would want to do a rilfe hunt.

Realistically, I would be happy with a 120"-140" with potential for larger.

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I would either do one or the other. Elk or Deer. Some outfitters will try to sell a combo and I think it's very questionable. I booked a hunt with an outfitter for a Elk hunt years ago and noticed I could get a landowner tag also. I asked him about it and he said are we going to Elk hunt or Deer hunt? Craig Boddington wrote about combo Deer/Elk hunts several years ago and said it is very hard to do and be successful. I imagine someone hear will say something to the contrary but it's your money. Having said the above, I have hunted Elk for years and have run into a shooter Mulie, not trophies but a shooter. It's a long way to plus the expense and split your time between the two and end up with zero.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
What RAR60 says has merit. Elk/deer is biting off a lot. But... Consider a mule deer/pronghorn combo hunt. I've done a couple in WY with the help of a local buddy and had good success. I'm sure there are outfitters in WY, MT, or other western states that can support this request. Randy might even be able to.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might be able to help you out in Wyoming with a mule deer or even mule deer/antelope combo. If that would be of interest just let me know.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have the time, say two or three weeks, then a deer/elk hunt is doable,as long as you don't turn down decent bulls and bucks. Ive seen some large bucks while elk hunting there..Where I hunt in Colorado, you will see both deer and elk in the same location and the seasons coincide..

Why would that be impossible in that one goes to Africa and shoots a lot more animals than one. I has to do with populations.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Mule Deer once. 2015 in Idaho.
I hunted with Dave Melton, Bighorn Outfitters.
http://www.huntidaho.com/
I enjoyed this hunt very much, and had success.
I cannot say how well Dave Melton compares with any other outfitter out there, and there would be many good ones, but he did everything right by me and I would happily book another hunt with his outfit. One thing I learned is the importance of stressing to your outfitter that you must be paired with a willing and competent guide. This aspect alone can make or break a hunt that you put your hard earned money into.
Good luck with your search.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
DIY in Eastern Montana on Block management lands is fairly doable hunt and plenty of deer and 120-140 deer is very very attainable
Saves you lots of money

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have the time, say two or three weeks, then a deer/elk hunt is doable,as long as you don't turn down decent bulls and bucks.

Ive seen some large bucks while elk hunting there..Where I hunt in Colorado, you will see both deer and elk in the same location and the seasons coincide..

Just an observation here, it will depend somewhat on the area hunted and the outfitter/guide. My experiences in western Colorado pretty much parallel what Mr. Atkinson stated, only real difference being that I was doing it in a week.

The other parameter will be the hunters expectations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thank You to everyone for your help. I appreciate all the information!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to use that 7 STW? :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Goodness willing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
DIY in Eastern Montana on Block management lands is fairly doable hunt and plenty of deer and 120-140 deer is very very attainable
Saves you lots of money

Tags are sold out this year.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote