Find
Notify
Tools

bullet for elk in a 300 win. mag.?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
200gr Accubond

Posts: 20147 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
180 gr Accubond is what I have used.

Posts: 711 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I failed to mention that Ive used a lot of GS Customs monolithic bullets on African game of all sizes just havn't used them on elk, but they worked so well on elk size animals up to and including Kudu, Wildebeest,Hartebeast, Zebra, and on up to eland, Im sure a 160 or 180 GS Customs would work like a charm on Elk in a 300 or even a 30-06...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42012 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just shot a 5x5 bull in Colorado with my 30 Nosler using Berger 190 VLD Hunting bullets. Two double lung shots at just under 300 yards. The bullets worked as Berger advertised. Penetrated a couple inches, massive wound cavity and shed most of its weight as it lodged in the opposite side. Almost like a VMax for big game. The elk never moved. It picked up a leg to take a half step back and crumpled there on the spot like it died on its feet.

My brother uses the 140gr VLD Hunting in his 6.5x284 and has shot many elk and has never had to track any.

I've always been a believer of bullet mushroom, staying in tact and exiting, but the killing ability I've witnessed with these
bullets are very impressive.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rc, you know what the V in Vmax stands for, right ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed my only elk in 2014 with a 180-grain Partition from my .300 Winchester at 500 yards. Worked great! I worked up a loan with a 180-grain Accubond for the same rifle, but the elk didn't cooperate last year when I hunted them! It did fine on a moose in Newfoundland this year, though, so I have no doubt it'd do just as well on elk.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
My .300 H&H loves 200 grn Partitions and RL-22

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Rc, you know what the V in Vmax stands for, right ?

Yes

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk aren't that tough, use a good bullet that is accurate in your rifle and put it where it needs to go.......dead elk.

I prefer burgers vld, no, they rarely if ever exit, but they do a massive amount of internal damage. You know? Where you want the damage.

Posts: 41901 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX:
Just screw up a shot and see how hard elk are to kill!

Hit 'em right and sure, but, if you pull the shot or they move etc. You'd better have a good bullet.

I killed a 5pt bull with my .22 ONCE too. Sure as hell is not an elk gun. Impressive how he swapped ends and crashed dead as dead ever gets. Under the ear at 50 feet. I was just a 15y.o kid then and didn't know better when the shot presented itself.

Bullets of all makes are a whole different thing than what we had in the 50's & 60's. Lots of choice's now.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just screw up a shot and see how hard elk are to kill!

And every other game animal no matter what bullet is used.

Posts: 19455 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend trying the 180 or 200 Partition, 180 or 200 AccuBond, 168 TTSX, and 180 Interbond. Use whatever shoots best in your particular rifle.

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 20 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
180 great Nosler Partitions @ 3100 fps --my basic "get r' done round in the 300 Winner. This bullet has provided the demise of we'll over 2 dozen elk over several years. As a big game guide I have the opportunity to see many combinations of bullet, velocity, rifle and hunter -- the last of which is usually the most problimatic.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullets today are different than most of yesterdays bullets, most shoot well and most kill well, the day of bullet failure is all but over..Thanks to the bullet companies, its not like the 40s and 50s anymore..

Even so there is no better bullet than the old WW power point or Rem. corelokt, even today..

This year I shot my two bucks and culled does in Texas with my elk rifle and its proven elk loads due to circumstances..A 30-06 with 200 gr. Accubonds, and it worked like a charm on those small Hill country Mills co. Texas deer, quick kills, 5 or 6 inches of bloodshot, and instant or very short runs..bullet placement in each case was double lung and/or heart shots, that's what works best btw..It worked as usual with my 25-35 Win. SRC. with 97 gr. GSC flat nose HPs and Hornady 117 gr. RN and 29 grs of H380..Fun hunt, warm as toast, but the deer were still there as usual. I don't care for culling, as its pure work and not hunting, but it sure is a good test for bullets and calibers..Most ranches in that area are culling a 150 or more does this year. The ranch I hunted is a section and a half, with a 167 doe kill permit..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42012 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed elk with Barnes X, Swifts, and even ballistic tips -all in 180 gr.
My favorite over the entire spectrum of distances near and far has been the North Fork SS in 180 gr. Broadside shoulder or behind the shoulder, quartering, or up the starfish-simply fantastic penetration with reliable expansion. Routinely the most accurate bullet in my 2 .300's
Use whatever shoots the best and enjoy your hunt!

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I lived in an area that was primarily deer hunting and only an ocasssional jaunt for elk, Id opt for the 30-06, not my beloved .338 Win...the 06 is a good enough elk caliber, especially with a 180 gr. Nosler or 200 gr. Nosler with the partition or Accubond..The .338 on deer size animals is "overkill" sometimes and if you hit bone..I've shot enough deer size game in the USA and Africa with the .338 to believe that.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120