New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unknown caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My brother bought a nice drilling from Cabelas that was supposedly a 16x16x9.3 72R.

Purchased some 9.3x72R and they would only load about halfway in the chamber. Made a chamber cast with cerrasafe. Appears to be a 72R case tapered down to a bore diameter of .318!

The 8x72R uses .323 bullets. Anyone with info on this would be appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

Posts: 87 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 24 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You'll also probably find that it won't take 2 3/4" shottie shells either. It should be a 2 9/16" shell.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a photo of the proof marks on the barrels?
The 8X57JR is .318.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your brother is not happy with the gun I would return it.
Being it was sold as a 9.3x74R and it is something else,I would think they would give a refund.
I returned my Sabatti no problem, it had over size out of round chambers. Barrels crossed 1" at 50 yards, with Hornady ammo.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was sold as a 16g with 2 1/2 chambers. Found out from Huntington dies that its a 8x65R (.318). Brother is happy with it but just wants to shoot it.

Posts: 87 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 24 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben351w:
It was sold as a 16g with 2 1/2 chambers. Found out from Huntington dies that its a 8x65R (.318). Brother is happy with it but just wants to shoot it.

A good place to get the shotgun ammo...

Get the biggest shot size, BTW. Their #6 is about like our #7 size, I find.

Also, you can use 32 Special bullets to re-load it. The bores were all from .319 to .322. Even at .318 the .321 32 Specials are fine. We used them for many years for our 8X57JR drillings, before "J" bore bullets were available. I find them more accurate on a whole, also.

I like the Remington CorLokt best.

220gr Hawk Bullets work great, too.
www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

www.classicshooting.com/16-gau...otgun-ammunition.htm

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
You'll also probably find that it won't take 2 3/4" shottie shells either. It should be a 2 9/16" shell.

more likely 2 & 1/2

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More like 65mm Wink Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice piece. Once you get the ammo sorted, I'm sure he'll love using it.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben351w:

Your brother should be ecstatic to have a drilling with a rifle caliber like the robust 8X65R instead of the anemic 9.3X72R. The 8X65R is a sort of rimmed 8mm-'06, and outperforms the 8X57JRS about 300 fps. across the board. I had my Krieghoff drilling rebored to 8X75RS from 7X65R for that reason.