Find
Notify
Tools

Slugs in a Sauer M3000 Drilling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted
I have a Sauer M3000 Drilling in 12gx12g over 9.3x74R chokes full and mod. What slugs can be used in this gun if at all? are Brenneke type ok? thanks

cheers
Steve

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Brenneke or foster type will be no problem at all...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
The Brenneke or foster type will be no problem at all...

DM

I agree, the wife and I have used them in ours, no problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice DM and NE 450 No2, I thought they would be ok! but you get conflicting advise, now is the Brenneke "better" than the foster or other makes? also are the barrels regulated for slugs or just standard shotgun? I have read that some M30 drillings,the forerunner of the M3000, was regulated for slugs if in 9.3x74R, was the M3000 the same? .....or just try and see how they group?......Thanks

Cheers
Steve

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjm:
Thanks for the advice DM and NE 450 No2, I thought they would be ok! but you get conflicting advise, now is the Brenneke "better" than the foster or other makes? also are the barrels regulated for slugs or just standard shotgun? I have read that some M30 drillings,the forerunner of the M3000, was regulated for slugs if in 9.3x74R, was the M3000 the same? .....or just try and see how they group?......Thanks

Cheers
Steve

Better in what way? You will need to try all the brands to see what shoots best in your bbl..., but IMO the Brenneke kill better than the foster style on deer sized animals.

As for regulation of the shot bbl., some were and some weren't. It was an option on many drillings, and you will have to try your's to find out if it was regulated or not.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
chokes full and mod

Steve,

They will most probably shoot to a reasonable PIO @25-50 meters, at least out of one barrel. I've seen Drillings where they luckily shot very well with all three barrels affording a sorta 3-shooter; others where not only the slugs were all over the map but the shot charges from shotgun shells were 2"-3" different from the rifle barrel POI, too and that at only short range.

As has been mentioned the barrel sets are a Law-unto-Themselves; each different.

The reason for the 1/1 (Full) & 1/2 (Modified) chokes on a Drilling are that the Tuetons were at the time Drillings reached the pinnacle of development a land of long(ish) distance ground game shooters (Hares). The tubes are normally tight; conceived primarily to shoot shotgun shells with felt wads (not plastic wads) delivering dense patterns at Modified & Full ranges.

The current crop of commonly manufactured shotgun slugs may be a "tight" fit in your choked barrels; M/F not normally considered condusive to optimum accuracy with slugs. The Brenneke slugs have soft lead "fins" and therefore may relieve pressure. It's worth a try.

The regulation of shotgun slugs in Drillings is accomplished by nothing more than attacking the insides of the muzzles with files, allowing gas to escape to regulate them.

Give 'em a try - the Brenneke's, they may shoot just fine but also be prepared for a potential less than optimal grouping as well.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing you might consider...

I do think Brennekes are better killers, and better for protection from dangerous game.

But if they are not accurate and/or do not hit to the sights, what good are they.

So I hunt with whatever slug shoots/hits the best.

However I always have a few Brennekes for follow up where the shots will be close. I also carry them with me when hunting grouse in bear country.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your right barrel was regulated for slugs it will be for standard velocity Brennekes, most likely.

They are hard to find anymore...

Anyone have a source for them?????

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote