THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Only American Made Drilling put into production...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only American Made Drilling put into production...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All: Anyone ever hear of a "Hollenbeck"
3 barrel gun? Upper barrels a side by
side shotgun, lower barrel nestled
under the shotgun barrels is a rifle
barrel. made from 1901-1910...high
quality gun. Frank Hollenbeck designed
shotguns for the former Syracuse Arms Co.,
and the former Baltimore Arms Co.
He was a master gunmaker at the turn of
the century when the apex of American
craftsmanship was reached.
My Hollenbeck Gun is a SxS 12 gauge,
over a .32-40 rifle. Neat gun.

Best Regards,

Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Would you mind posting a picture?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind posting a photo...but never have done so...will try...and instructions to do so?
Thanks,
Tom

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
There was an article on them in the Doublegun Journal a year or so ago. I will see if I can find which copy it was in. I also believe that Pachmeyer Senior produced some in Las Angeles.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: Would appreciate the Double Gun Journal Issue
number identifying the Hollenbeck Gun. All I have is the Gun & a 2 page article on it from "The
American Rifleman", June 1964. Pachymar never made them, they were only made by Frank Hollenbeck & his 3 barrel Gun Company from 1901-1910 in West Virginia. No one else had the rights to make them as they were patented to Hollenbeck.
Tom

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Tom:

Sorry I was unclear. I did not mean to imply that Pachmeyer made some Hollenbechs. Rather, I believe that Pachmeyer Senior produced some drillings under his own name.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hollenbeck was the designer & patent holder for his drilling. he originally started out in upstate new york under his own name. then the company moved to west virgina where it traded first as the three barrel gun company and later , in its last gasp (?) the royal gun co.

i have owned a couple of these and they are neat guns.
i also owned one of the two known ithaca drillings.... they were written up in double gun journal approx 8 yrs ago. mine had the rifle bbl --on top -- of the shotgun bbls.

shame none of these captured much interest in the american market.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were also a few gunmakers in Pennsylvania who made drillings, but very few and even fewer guns.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote