Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Drilling
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Drillings have not, historicly been my favorite type of combination gun, in their usual configuration. That being with a double barrel shotgun, with a rifle barrel down the under and between the barrels. My favorite is a double rifle with a shot barrel down under, and between the RIFLE barrels! A perfect drilling for the world would be with a pair of S/S 375 H&H Flanged barrels regulated at 100 yds, with flip ups for 200 yds, and 300 yds, and QD Bases for a scope. Paired up with a shot barrel below chambered for 12 ga 3" mag, with screw-in chokes. NOW! That's a gun that would rarely leave my side! This would make a perfect firearm for following up wounded cats, and a very well designed "ONE GUN" set up for hunting anywhere in the world! thumb beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
thats a doublerifle drilling, krieghoff has one in 20/76 /9,3x74 in the barrels. but it is the crafts shops that can make one in 375 flanged. that would be nice. john taylor writes in African rifles and cartridges about a stockbroker that had a hh light double in 375 flanged and it was great for him. A friend of me has a fine double in 375 flanged,and its a super rifle. he has almost just used it for his hunting for 2 seasons now.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
MacD37,

Couldn't agree more, that would be an awesome firearm! I had a double rifle drilling in 9x57R (slooooooow) with a claw mounted 2.75 Kahles scope over 16 guage in the finest looking action ever: back action hammer gun.

I'd still own it (I think...) if it was a 9x74R or 375 Flanged and if it was properly regulated. Mine was too much work/time with very expensive bullets to try to get it regulated, it was just never right and needed an owner with more $$ and time than me. The 16 guage shot barrel was paper thin and required shorter shells (more $).

Regardless, I took a cow elk, nice mulie buck and an antelope (Montana's double rifle drilling record??) and quite a few grouse with it, just not the right gun for long range.

I long for a drilling like you described...sometimes similar ones, though almost always in 9x74, show up on Puglisis or Bob Jones.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have also seen them called "Express Drilling" in European circles.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only ever seen the one as you described, but chambered for 9.3x74R in the rifle BBLs and 16g in the lower shotgun BBL. a very nice setup, but a tad on the heavy side at 8lbs, unscoped. it did however have an excellent set of Expess sights, and a flip up ivory bead foresight for low light work.
Very nice. But way out of my price range.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote