New
Find
Notify
Tools

My German Girls Are All At Home
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's been raining and the wind is blowing, can't go anywhere, but I'm high and dry. I couldn't start any projects for fear the electric would go off and I couldn't work outside without a snorkel, so I was going over my German guns. A few of them just got back from gunsmiths. Thought I'd post a photo of my German guns.

They are, from top to bottom.
Poschinger 11.7x56R/16
Hubertus 8x57JR/16/16
Sauer 7x65R16/16 w22mag adapter and 16 to 20 adapter
Sauer 9.3x74R/12/12 w/22mag adapter and 22LR adapter for 9.3 barrel
Guild Gun 8x57JRS/16 w/Hammond GameGetter adapter and 16 to 20 adapter
Hawelka Favorite 6.3x52R/16
I'll need to narrow down the drillings to one or at most two. Just need to decide which I will keep.
When the weather breaks, I'll be back out looking for grouse or woodcock instead of wasting my time on the computer and cleaning guns.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Tell me more about the 22 Mag and the 22LR adapters for the 9,3x74R barrels.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 22 mag adapter is the Kreighoff insert in the right 12 guage barrel. It's a bit unusual in that it's a longer model, about twelve inches long. The 22 LR is a Lothar Walther insert for the 9.3 barrel. It uses a plug with an offset firing pin. I got mine from Joe at JMar Enterprises. He has them listed under accessories on his website. There is a photo there. www.drillinghotline.com
It's not as accurate as the Kreighoff, but I used a pair of them in my Chapuis just to work on my trigger pull and hold. They were close at twenty-five yards from that rifle. The drilling just got back after some lock and barrel work. I have not been to the range with it, yet. So I can't say how close this adapter will be to the sights with it.
Bfly

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff sold insert bbls in both long and short, chambered for both, 22LR and 22WMR.

I use to sell them, and i sold some of both lenghts, but more shorts. The longs were just a few dollars more than the shorts...

I still have both long and shorts here for my own guns.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Fly, found out the rib on that drilling is free thus not holding true with scope. Looking for someone that can fix. I may have to send it to Brilly. It will work when I get done come Hell or High water.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great collection. Hope you get to use them all.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bunch of Classic hunters there! Cool

Now...you need to work on an even dozen. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Black Fly, I think you made a mistake when you mention the rifle kaliber from your last combo (Hawelka) as far as I know the 6,3 X 52 R don't exist however there is a 6,3 x 53 R finnish or your rifle kaliber is 6,5 x 52 R who is the 25/35 WCF American. But don't think that I want to teach you something, I like your Hawelka and I want, if you agre have more good pictures from your gun. This is my E-Mail adress marc_gettemans@hotmail.com

Posts: 2 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Katyreva, Thanks for the info. My Hawelka has 6.3x52 on both the rifle barrel near the proof marks and on the rib, that's why I used that as the reference. The chamber is very similar to a 25/35, but not all 25/35 ammo will fit. From what I've been able to read on the internet and in the very little I've been able to find in print, over the last year, it appears that some of the German makers made a 6.3x52R that was similar but slightly different from the 25/35 and it was apparently loaded to a slightly lower pressure. A good while back I saw a drilling(can't remember the maker), at a gun shop I worked at, that had the same caliber stampings. There were some ground off marks near the proofs, so it may have had some work done. I wasn't into German guns back then, but I suspect that thinking back, it may have been relined. Of course, all that is on the internet and in print, is not guaranteed to be true. I've slugged the bore and it is a true 25 caliber. I usually only use starting 25/35 data. She's light and about eigty years old, so needs to be treated like a mature lady. I'll post some more pictures when I can figure out the new stuff they put in Photobucket. It really is one of my favorites to just shoot and carry around in the woods. Thanks for the nice comments.
Bfly

posted Hide Post
Black Fly, your answer is to the point,you know about what you speak. I can't wait to se pictures. I am also interested in German or Austrian combination guns and sidelock drillings.
I have a sidelock drilling made by Robert Schlegelmilch for who I need to make a cast from the rifle barrel to know the exact rifle kaliber, I know it is a 9,3 but wich one???
Marc.

Posts: 2 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote