New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby drilling ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone give me any info on these, a fellow told me he has several of these i didnt know whether to believe him at first as i had never heard of weatherby drillings
cheers for any info

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As i remember, they are Sauer 3000's, with the wby name on them.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have'nt heared this but what DM says makes a lot of since. The early MK 5s were made by Sauer so it dos'nt seem much of a strech that Sauer would market there drillings in the U.S. under Weatherby's name.
Thats exactly what they did when they lost the MK 5 contract to Japan, Sauer sold the M 3000 drilling through colt and called it the colt Sauer drilling.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are Sauer 3000s from the 1960's. I have a 3000 that was made then and has Weatherby on the paperwork, but not on the gun. It does fall within the serial number range of the Weatherby logo Sauer 3000's, however.

Remember that Sauer built the MK V Wbys back then, also. I have one of those with a Wby variable scope, just so I have a "set"... Roll Eyes

Big Grin

It was all accidental...shhhhhh... wave

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Yes very cool and the Weatherby scope on your rifle was also made in Germany as I understand.
I think they were made by Nickel in Marburg.

I had a scope made by them once I think they have been under rated by us here in the U.S. because we don't see many of them but they are right up there with other quality Euro optics.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are Sauer 3000 Drillings with some cosemetic [mostly stock] changes for the American Market.

They were avilabale in 12 ga with either 243 or 30/06 rifle barrels.

The wife and I both have Sauer 3000 Drillings in 12x12x30/06, with scopes in claw mounts. They are excellent hunting guns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby branded scopes were built by the

"Hertel&Reuss " company

which was in 1995 together with the " Nickel " company under the roof of the Gerhardt Optik united.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sauer 3000 Drillings

It´s cool to read something about the Sauer 3000, from US-hunters. The Sauer Drilling was the really "last" great Drilling made by Sauer&Sohn. Now, the Sauer company is a "part" of the Blaser toy factory.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin
I have handles a lot of different Drillings over the years.
And I have a couple of Blaser D99's, and they are great hunting guns, very rugged and very accurate.

However the wife and I both have Sauer 3000 drillings, 12x12x30/06.

They handle as a wing shooting shot gun, better than my Browning Citori, and most other O/U, or SXS 12 guage shotguns...

I would pick my Sauer Drilling for a quail, dove, and even duck over decoys [with Bismuth shot], over any other shotgun I have used.
I use mine for squirrel and rabbit hunting as well.

AND they have a 30/06 barrel as a plus.
The wife and I have killed seveal deer and wild pigs with ours.
It is the wifes most favorite hunting gun.

They are truely a fine handling "shotgun".

Both are fitted with a scope in claw mounts, and the 30/06 barrels are plenty accurate.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Pluse one on that Mr. T.

My only complaint about my M3000 Sauer is it is a little on the big side. The Merkel drillings are shorter and more compact but on the other hand the size is the price you pay for a 12 ga 30-06.
My Emil Diemb 16 ga drilling is lighter and slinder but I find that My Sauer is my "go to" drilling.

If I really feel the need for a lighter, shorter, slinder gun I'll use one of my BBF's.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had mine trimmed up a bit to a sensible splinter forend.

It feels much nicer for my taste.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote