New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauer 16ga/5.6x52R
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We recently took in a Sauer combo gun in 16ga/5.6x52R (.22 Sav. HP) on consignment at the shop I work at. Made in '62, in very good condition. No provisions for scope mounts, flip up rear sight. Owner wants $2,200, too rich for my blood but would love to have it. Anybody have one? Just curious, this is the first one I've seen in this caliber but then again, I haven't seen a hell of a lot of them in the flesh.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it a BBF or SXS? The Savage HP was/still is a popular round in Germany.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a 20 gauge drilling with a 5.6 x 52R rifle barrel and North Dakota is minus a couple of coyote because of that little cartridge. The 22 Savage HP never really caught on in this country but it is thought to be the optimal fallow deer cartridge by many in Germany. A drilling with this cartridge is often referred to as a "Niederwilddrilling"---a small game drilling and is probably more popular in Denmark. Out to 200 yds, this little cartridge is similar to a .223--doesn't shoot quite as flat but has a little more oomph. I think the GEE is about 190 yds. Perfect for those Coyotes that my bird dogs flush out of the cover and if they make the mistake of stopping to look back once they get beyond scattergun range, they better I hope I miss.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SCNutter.....

A "Neiderwild" Drilling (Smalll Game Drilling), Combination Rifles, (BBF's, Bockbüchsflinte=O/U Rifle/Shotgun or Büchsflinte=SxS Rifle/Shotgun) are not uncommon in the smaller rfile chamberings but you did see them in use more often prior to the expansion of the Wild Boar population throughout Germany after the reunification of East & West Germany. Today their practical (read=legal) use is limited unless a hunter is willing to pass on a Wild Boar (Hochwild) which can appear at any time although I'm sure many Frischling & Überläufer (Piglets & 1 year old boar) meet their Destiny with a .224" or .228" bullet in the ear. This was not the case in the past.

In the Fatherland Game is classified into Neiderwild (Small Game=no caliber restriction & 1000 Joules @100 meters) and Hochwild (Large Game=6.5 caliber minimun, 2000 Joules @100 meters). Since Roe Deer are classified as Small Game, the use of .224" & .228" cartridges is legal due to the energy requirements for these cartridges @ 100 meters.

.222 Remington, 5.6x52R (22 Savage High Power), 5.6x50R Magnum and 30/30 Winchester were the "ususal suspects" for chamberings in Neiderwild Drillings, BBF's & BF's; usually on a 16 Gauge frame due to the smaller, thinner frame size for a more compact, lighter rifle and sometimes even 20 Gauge. Like JonP, I use a 20x20x9.3x74R w/5.6x50R Magnum Insert Barrel Drilling - a very small, light, handy, yet powerful package.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,WOW, you know some stuff!who made your drilling?Waidmannsheil!BEST,kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCGunNut:
We recently took in a Sauer combo gun in 16ga/5.6x52R (.22 Sav. HP) on consignment at the shop I work at. Made in '62, in very good condition. No provisions for scope mounts, flip up rear sight. Owner wants $2,200, too rich for my blood but would love to have it. Anybody have one? Just curious, this is the first one I've seen in this caliber but then again, I haven't seen a hell of a lot of them in the flesh.

By "combo", I assume you mean a .22 HP under a 16-ga? Not a drilling, right? Depending on condition $2200 is not too steep for a J.P. Sauer from the 1960's. I have a Sauer 8X60RS SXS rifle. It is superb. ALL J.P. Sauers I have seen have been exceptionally nice.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kim!

How's life in Creole Land? Don't confuse me with someone who actually knows something!

It's just a vanilla-flavored Simpson Suhl; the standard-fare J.C. Higgens Model outa the former DDR. Nothing spectacular although the scratches could be be confused for some New-Art Engraving.

A VERY usable Drilling; the Swarovski 6x42 Novo in Blaser Pivot Mounts sorta rounds out the package nicely.

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 over 5.6x52R combo bbl. for my Valmet 412... It's a very early bbl. set that actually was a "test bbl.". It was sent to the US for gun writers to see and write about before the 412's were actually introduced here...

Anyway, many years ago i spent several days visiting Ted Smith the "swage die guru" at his home, and while i was there he made up a set of swage dies for me to use in this bbl set...

Once back home, i did swage up a bunch of bullets to test the bbl. set, and i found it to be very accurate... I never did take it hunting though, as i always thought it was a bit light for my hunting needs.

Maybe i need to get it out and give it a try?

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote