New
Find
Notify
Tools

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x8/57JR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanted to post some pictures of my JP Sauer Sidelock Drilling in 12x12x8/57JR, 2.75" chambers. The target is 100 yards using factory Sellier & Bellot 196gr. I think I had a bad trigger pull on the high shot. It groups 1" high at 100, .5 high at 50. The Rio Brenneke slugs shoot very consistent per barrel. The right barrel shoots the slugs in almost the same hole but 10" left of poi at 40 yards. The left barrel shoots in basically the same hole 1/5" right of poi at 40 yards. I'll be shooting the rear trigger first with the slugs.

This is damn good performance from a drilling with factory stuff. The iron sights shoot about 5" high but straight on 50 yards with the Sellier & Bellot. I can live with that as well.

Not bad for a fine gun built in 1935, claw mounts, with perfect bores. Someone added the beavertail forearm at some point. I hate it, but will live with it for now; it does not affect the performance.

I've shot alot of game with it and will continue to do so. Just changed out the scope to a Leupold Ultralight in 3x9x33 with long range reticle that weighs only 8.8oz. This is a very light weight total package.

Just wanted to share some pics of this beauty. If I have to sell everything else off, this is the last gun to go. It can do everything in NA.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot her again this evening; the temps are finally nice here in the Southeast. Feels like Fall.

She shot just as good. I made a small adjustment to move the crosshairs slightly to the left; I felt they were cantered. It took about 10 shots to get her dialed back in. I originally thought it would only take 1-2. That just shows how such a little adjustment affects the impact point of a fired rifle.

I'm still at less than moa at 100 from a drilling; and that's all one can ask for.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All you now need to do is to take that gun hunting.

I have done a lot of hunting with a Drilling, Double Rifle Drilling, and a Combo Gun.

They work great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, this gun has shot alot of game. Not sure what it took before me, but I have shot dozens of game birds and a couple of whitetail with it.

The person who owned it before me was also an avid hunter.

It's not the best shooting drilling I have owned, but it's definitley the sexiest.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very sweet looking drilling! I'm assuming the POA/POI variances are with the open sites?

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Drilling!!! tu2

I've had good luck so far with S&B 8X57JR ammo in the two guns I have in that round.

You can't squawk about the way it shoots, and it is a beautiful SL to boot. Cool

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Nice looking drilling and they are neat. 8x57 is a good thumper. I also have an old JP Sauer in 16x16x8x57IR, with a 22mag insert in the right shotgun barrel. They are fun to shoot, I'd hunt more with it if I didn't have a Bockdrilling, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote