Find
Notify
Tools

Hawk bullets for 9,3x72R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted
I have and old drilling chambered in 9,3x72R and I am looking for bullets for reloading.

I have heard that Hawk delievers bullets. Do any of you have experience with those bullets?

What diameter are they and what weights?

I would also appreciate reloading data.

Thanks.

Never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posts: 182 | Location: Nord-Trøndelag-Norway | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most knowledgeable on reloading these older German calibers is Lutz Moeller in Germany. He also makes and sells copper bullets that greatly increase the working range and effectiveness of some of these old cartridges. In the case of the 9.3 x 72R, his "recipes" drive 8.5 grams at over 3000 ft/sec with a +/- 2" rise/drop out to 250 yds.

He speaks and writes near perfect English and is very helpful.

The page with info for the 9.3 x 72R is http://www.lima-wiederladetech...e/9,3-mm/9,3x72R.htm

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted Hide Post
I am aware of Moellers bullets. But my drilling is about 100 years old, and the pressure will be to high. S&B ammunition has about 29000 psi and the reloading data Moeller offers is about 45000 psi with the toughest loads.

Never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posts: 182 | Location: Nord-Trøndelag-Norway | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms makes a 193 gr bullet for it. Also, a fun bullet for plinking & "cat sneeze" loads is the 9mm makarov 95gr (.363) bullet. I make mine with a swaging die, by bumping up Speer 180 bullets to .365. I'd Be glad to send you the info on making one.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Slug your bore before spending a pile on anybody's bullets - 9,3x72R bore and groove diameters varied all over the place. Often, particularly with older ones, they're close enough to .358" (several I have had measured .360") that the 200 grain jacketed RN bullets made for the .35 Remington work perfectly.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hawk bullets in my 9,3x74R [285gr .035jkt], and in my 450/400 [300gr .025jkt and 400gr .035jkt]

I have killed a lot of game with them, deer, pigs, impala, and baboon with the 9,3 and pigs and deer with the 450/400.

They are some of the best, fastest killing bullets I have ever used. ALL have been one shot drop, to the shot kills, except one pig that went 10 to 15 feet.

In the 9,3x72R I would try a Hawk with the .025jkt or maybe the .030 jacket.

AS bpsteve states slug your barrel first, then call Hawk.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answers. I'm going to slug the bore when I get the drilling back from my gunsmith.

I've got hold of some Hawk bullets here in Norway, they're with the .030 jacket.

And I'm also looking for some RWS bullets. I have some RWS factory ammunition, and the bullets are better than the ones from S&B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, jacket thickness is a great way to estimate the "toughness" of a bullet or its expansion Vs penetration capability. Jacket to core ratio (weight) is another good way to do it. The best way to get both on any bullet is to dissolve the jacket in nitric acid. Mic the core after the jacket dissolves (divide by 2) to get the jacket thickness and weigh the core to get the jacket to lead core ratio. You can also see tapered jacket patterns. Milling a cross section also works for thickness. With good knowledge of these aspects of a given bullet you can pretty much tell what it will do on game.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Moeller has not been known to be exactly pressure shy. Caveat emptor.

Besides, the S&B 193 grain bullet is cheap, kills well and was desgned for that cartridge. Rumours have it that it is also loaded by RWS.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
They have made custom weights and jackets for me and I have bought their off the shelf bullets.
No complaints.
I used their 200 gr in my 9.3 with excellent results.

http://hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote