New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser 95 will not shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an accuracy problem with a s/h. B 95 I bought. It is a 12/70- 30-06 configuration.

With factory ammo it groups three inches at 100 yards. With carefully handloaded ammo that shoots under half an inch in my bold rifle, it will not do better than two inches with an occasinal flyer, two inches off the group.
(Sierra GK 150 gr. over 52 gr. VV N150)
I checked everything:

Scope: Kahles, 3-12 x56 with rail, just returned from Kahles in Austria, where I had it cleaned, refilled with nitrogen and serviced. Scope was tested for parallax and found shotproof. The scope is on an orginal Blaser sattlemount, glued in, all screws tight.

I adjusted the mount levers to the same amount of pressure needed to shift the lock lever forward, as advised by Blaser.

The crown is sharp, no dents or scratches. The bore is clean and shiny; the rifling is sharp, although there are a few minor pits, only visible with a strong magnifying glass.

I checked the screws in the adjustment bridge.
The rifled barrel is slightly off centre with the shotgunbarrel, probably to adjust it to the smooth barrel for the use of slugs. I didn't try slugs yet.
The adjusmentscrews are not too tight and I backed off the counterscrew 1/4 turn, as advised in the Blaser manual.
I even removed the rubber band between the barrels to see if this would make any difference.

What else can be wrong?
What level of accuracy can be expected from a combination gun with free floating barrels?
What groups do you, B 95 owners get from your guns?

I can't ask the previous owner becuase he passed away and I bought the gun from his father.

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine (7x57R) gets .75 MOA with the 154gr Norma factory loads. However it only gets 3.5 MOA with the Highland AX 173gr ammo, which also fouls pretty badly. If I could afford it, using RWS ammo will shink those heavy (173gr) bullet loads to .80 MOA.
As to why yours won't shoot, you seem to have covered everything. Apart from trying different load combinations to see if you rifle BBL has a favourite, I cannot think of anything else to try, except perhaps having the rifle BBL inspected by a good gunsmith to see what sort of shape it is in, if you have not already done so?

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many different factory loads have you tried?
I would try at least 6 starting out, using 150 165 and 180 grain bullets assuming you can get that big a selection, unless I wanted to use a soecific bullet weight for the game I hunted the most then I would try as many of that bullet weight I could find.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the problem.

It is the scope, although it just returned from service.
I changed scopes at a gunshop, took three shots at 100 metres, group size 19 mm!

Unbelievable but true, so I sent the scope back where it came from and hope to find out what went wrong!

I'll keep you informed about the outcome of all this.

Thanks for your answers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to know you solved the accuracy problem. I am the happy owner of a BBF 95 in calibres 12 and 30 R Blaser and as all Blaser rifles I know, its accuracy is outstanding ,but a couple of years ago, I change the S & B scope installed since new, for another lighter one I purchased used , battered, "as is ", at a very low price. It proves to be a very bad decision, the first time I fire at a wild boar at 200 meters, I failed miserably. Was the first time I ever missed something with that gun. Later , more testing proves the "low cost" scope was useless.Now with another scope , it is still giving me great satisfaction .

Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
19mm? That sounds more like it! Good to hear you have solved the problem, now to go have some fun with it!
Don't forget the pics..... Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, solved not yet, but found yes!

Kahles is regarded one of the top four scope manufacturors over here and no doubt they will offer a satisfying solution.

On the AR forums there are many posts about accuracy problems. In this case I learned the only way to find the cause of such a problem is to rule nothing out, not even a new or reconditioned scope.

Thank you all for your interest in other members' problems. This is what makes this forum such a succes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one of the reasons I like Leupold scopes.
Good optics for the money, and a warranty that cannot be beat! Cheap enough for me to keep a spare scope (in mounts) ready to drop on if the big 3-9x50 Euro 30 goes out on me during a hunt.
I have never had a sporting rifle go flooey on me during a hunt, but I have had several scopes pack it in (notably tasco), so now I always take a spare scope with me.
This has also allowed me to bail out several less well prepared hunting friends, when their scopes died.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And just a quick post to second N E 450 No2, on the ammo problem. The original batch of highland AX 7x57R ammo returned about 3.5 MOA. The new batch (different batch #) will only do about 5 MOA.
Going back to the RWS 173 gr, the rifle once again shoots .80 MOA.
Same bullet weights, vastly different results.
Just a thought.

Cheers, Dave.