Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting Scope??.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted
I have an unfired Sauer 12x12 over 30-06 I have been carrying around for 25 yrs. Where can I get scope mounts installed? Are Special mounts required? Can Brierly do it. I am reluctant to ship it off somewhere. Any idea what its worth now? Thanks for any help.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be good to know if your drilling has mount bases? Can you take a picture of the top of your gun?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
No bases, no nothing, except original flip up sight. Having someone I do not know cut up that rib is what bothers me. It needs bases, rings, the works. I talked to a gunsmith today and he suggested N.E.G.C. They have a catalog with all the parts in it looks loike. No prices. That tells me something.
I was hoping there was someone closedr to home.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
cowboy77845,
It's been said a lot on the boards that Champlins is capable of that kind of work.
Champlins
I have no first hand experience but he lists prices and his site says they can do that type of work. They are in Oklahoma and closer to you.
If your talkking about the guns value the ones I've been looking at appear to be worth around $4,000.00.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Based on those prices, I may just use open sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this

http://www.recknagel.de
http://www.eaw.de
http://www.kilic-feintechnik.de

This 3 companies are the leading brands in Europe for scope mounts, and have various
types of mounts for drillings.

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day, Weaver used to make a mount designed to go onto a shotgun rib, so you could mount a low powered scope for turkey or deer hunting.
I have one on my old CZ and it works fine.
However, it will not return to zero if removed, so if you take it off, you will have to rezero.
Theyare not particularly pretty, but they are inexpensive, and work quite well.
It will require drilling and tapping holes in the rib, so find a GOOD 'smith to do the job, if you decide to try this. all up cost of the job, including the 'smiths time was $65 AUD.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Drilling and tapping in the rib of a drilling will destroy its value, and the rib is only tin soldered to the barrels. If you are unlucky, the scope will loosen the rib in the recoil. In any case you will harm the automatic rear sight.

Bases must be soldered into the rib and also to the barrels. The smith must ream gapes into the rib, where the bases fit very tight. Having soldered the bases to the barrels, he must fit the claws or the swing into the bases, which is a rather scrutinous work. Only the best gunsmiths should do this job, as one singel file movement can destroy everything.

Burkhard has given the links to the major makers of fine drilling mounts.

Regards,

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you contact Duane Wiebe at CGRS (253)535-0066. I have had Duane do a wide variety of work for me, and have seen a lot more of his work. He is truly one of the best gunsmiths in the world, as any of his peers will tell you.

Whoever you have do the work, if properly done, expect to pay around $800 to $1,200 for a set of claw mounts installed, or $600 to $800 for a set of swing mounts installed.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Looks like I should have had this done in Germany. Since it was a gift, there was a time lag. Thank you all for the info.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Ideally, a drilling should have German claw mounts, like the ones on my O/U 9,3x74R. Return to zero is absolute, only they are expensive and demand skilled handwork. Bases and hooks are handfitted before being soldered to the rib (NB.: + rebluing).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ Perodeau at Champlin Arms [www.champlinarms.com] can install the claw mounts for you.
My wife has the same Sauer 12x12x30-06 drilling with a 4x Kahles in claw mounts. It is her favorite hunting gun.
It is worth every penny to put a scope on your Sauer. It then makes it a 300 yard rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cowboy77845:
Thank you. Based on those prices, I may just use open sights.

I don't think I'd want someone who would install a $30 mount on a $3500 drilling, to touch my rifle! Eeker

The installing of a proper QD scope mount on a drilling, or double rifle is a complicated job, and requires someone with the proper skill, to do the job right. For use on a drilling, the mounts must absolutely RETURN TO ZERO every time, because it is removed, and re-installed so often!

JJ Perodeau at Champlin's is the only man I know who I would let touch one of my double rifles, or combos! I'm sure your area has some PLUMBERS, if that is the kind of work you are interested in! The proper installation of quality QD mounts, and scope will boost the value of your Drilling far more than the work will cost, and make your drilling far more usefull, at the same time! If you don't want to spend the money on the install, I'll give you a fair market price for your Drilling, and have the work done myself! If interested, my E-mail is: DUGABOY1@aol.com I can drive down to Collage Station in a heart beat! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Herbert Wohlmuth is the gunsmith for gun south. He was trained in Ferlach and has done claw mounts on 2 drillings 2 double rifles 2 bbf and 3 bolt actions of mine. never a problem and perfect function for sure return to zero.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
MACD37.
Not intersted in selling yet. Just an info search. How about a Winchester Grand European in 257 Roberts. Would you be interested in that at a price to be agreed on? I have bos and it has been test fired sometime between the 1st owner and me. Looks new.