Find
Notify
Tools

Which Blaser combination gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I know the BBF comes in a 97 and a 95 and the 95 must be cocked after every shot.

What would you choose and why?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I choose a D99 duo; double rifle with a shotgun barrle not a bad way to go other than that if it got to between a 95 and a 97 I'd choose the 97's. Why cock when you dont have to!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99

Between the BBF 95 and the BBF 97, you want the 97 as you can shoot both barrels without recocking.

You might have a rifle shotgun set of bbls, and an extra set of double rifle barrels.

The double rifle barresl do not have to be the same calibre, so again you would want to be able to choose which calibre you shot first.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
Why cock when you dont have to!

Ed

The basic safety feature of the original design (B95) is that you only cock when you have to.

I own a B95 and am extremely happy with both combination and "bergstutzen", large and small rifle bullets by a barrel insert.

I do not own a double barrel set.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Since Blaser doesn't make a double shotgun barrel set I am leaning toward the B95. But if a guy decided to buy a set of 9.3x74 x 9.3x74R barrels you would want the 97 for driven hunts.

choices choices!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would be the advantage of a 95 over a 97?

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If your hunting an animal from a tree stand or high seat and you shoot it, you don't have to remember to decock the gun.

The advantage of the 97 is the opposite, it stays cocked after the first shot. So you can shoot two quick shots.

The b95 requires a shot, then a cock, then a shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I know the difference I have a 97 I just cannot imagine why anyone would want a 95.

After you shoot when you open the gun the 97 will decock.

One of the nice things about having a gun with 2 barrels is having the immediate second shot.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I sure hate to agree with NE 450, but I do on this one. Go with the 97.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
95 or 97 here are the advantages I see.

1. Safety.

2. If your someone who sees the gun as two distinct guns for two different things like a slug in the shotgun barrel and a 222 as a rifle barrel you really don't need the 222 barrel cocked when a wildboar walks by.

Or if your using your 30-06 barrel on boars and you see a big capercailie you want to shoot with your 12 gauge in 6 shot. The 30-06 is out of the picture completly.

3. Cost the B95 is about $500 or more cheaper.

Ok the other way.

For the b97 over the b95 here is what I see;

1. Speed of the second shot.

And ideally the ability to buy a set of double rifle barrels and have the quick second shot. Or in a 9.3x74R and 12 gauge with a Brenneke slug a quick back up on boars or bears.

2. In the very unlikley but possible situation where a wildboar and a capercaillie both present a quick shot before you can reload you can whack both of them with a bullet and birdshot without any additional movement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
D99

Using your previous post as a guide I would say the BBF97 is worth the extra money, IMHO.

I just do not see the BBF95 as any safer.

The ability to shoot both barrels without recocking, is a far superior choice to me.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
95 or 97 here are the advantages I see.

3. Cost the B95 is about $500 or more cheaper.

The way I see it, if $500 is a deal breaker on a $3000(+/-) gun, you probably don't need to be buying it anyway. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only us older shooters need to cock after each shot. rotflmo

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose the 97 as I tend to get shots at multiple targets traveling at high speeds at close range, but I would say that it all depends on what you are used to. If I run into a good deal on a 95, I would just have to get used to it.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Asked my gunsmith. He sells Blasers in a 50 : 50 percentage.
Hunters buying a 95 use it only as shotgun/rifle or two different rifle calibers.
For drivehunting most of them have another doublebarrel rifle. The first argument for the 95 ist the safety. The 95 has two triggers whicxh can be regulated more different than the doubletrigger of the 97 this is another arguent for the 95.
The Blaser 97 is for hunters with doublebarrels for drivehunting. Its available with a doubletrigger, which ist a bit more rough than the trigger for the 95 and you can have it with a single trigger for drivehunting.

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burkhard, that was essentially my understanding of it, and the reason I got a 95 BBF.
For me it is a single shot rifle and a shotgun, and gets used that way. I shoot either the rifle or the shotgun, but hardly ever both at the same target as there is little overlap, shotguns being illegal for deer where I live.

However, if I had needed a double rifle, I would have gone for the 97, even though the 95 can be recocked quickly. As everyone who has handled one will understand, it's the same motion as taking the safety off on a conventional gun.

As for the cost aspect? D99, if that's a factor, wait a little while and get the one you need. Here in OZ the difference is rather more marked, to the tune of about $1500.00 depending on the grade...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Addit: Having just taken delivery of my new BBF, I can add another observation.
Although I ordered a 95, the factory sent a 97.
The effort required to cock a 97 is much greater that that required for a 95, probably because you are cocking 2 strikers, not 1.
I may just order a set of double rifle BBLs to take advantage of the situation, perhaps 7x65R since I cannot get 7x57R as a double.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
The effort required to cock a 97 is much greater that that required for a 95, probably because you are cocking 2 strikers, not 1.

Though that might be true, cocking my BBF still takes less effort than cocking my R-93.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:

Though that might be true, cocking my BBF still takes less effort than cocking my R-93.

That is true... Smiler

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Addit: After a few trips to the range, and a couple of hunts, I'm sad to say the the 97 is not a patch on the 95 for my needs.
I can see where you would need both BBLs cocked, but for me, I'll stick with the 95 system.
JMHO.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also let me add that I have shot several different Blaser breakopen guns in rimless calibres and I have not had a single extraction problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I was a little cautious about ordering a rimless chambering in the 97, however the advice of those who did have them and had no problems with them eventually convinced me.
I'm glad I listened, the 6.5x55 BBL has extracted flawlessly, and should prove far easier to feed than the 7x57R BBL.
Another bonus is that the recoil is sufficiently gentle in the 6.5 that I can shoot it a few times from my right shoulder (the damaged one), enough for a few practice rounds and then a hunt.

Got to be happy with that. Cool

Cheers, Dave.