New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comb Raising Ideas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been doing a good bit of hunting and shooting lately. The other day I was trying out a bunch of slug and buckshot loads for my 12/12/9.3x74 Sauer. I put somewhere around sixty slug and twenty buckshot loads downrange. I ended the day with a serious knot on my cheekbone and sore jaw. I have the same problem with 9.3 full power loads. But have worked up a lighter deer load that shoots to the sights. The stock has a bit of cast to my right and more drop than I need. I don't have the money to get it bent to where it will fit, right now. I'm thinking about adding a temporary comb riser of some sort in the interim, so I can get better cheek weld. Since a lot of German guns have a bit more drop than American's prefer, I thought some of you might have come up with a solution for this. Anyone have any experience with these to help me make an educated decision?
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
BF, not a temporary fix, but you might consider having the stock bent. I am taking my Purdey to Woodcock Hill in Benton, Pa. this week to have it done.

http://www.woodcockhill.com/work.htm

Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Anybody ever try any of those? Don, I talked with the guys at Woodcock Hill last winter. The owner has a pretty neat 416T built on a Whitworth. Ask them if the tree behind their range has fallen over. It's been hit with so many bullets over the years that it was about ready to topple. The bending will have to wait until I get some more ready cash and have a scope mounted (a bit more money I need).
Bfly

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well does it shoot the slugs?

Stock bending is the way to go, when you're ready. Wink

I'm glad to see you're out hunting a lot. Our bird season is awful, so I'm just working the dogs a bit on my resident quail.

I had three quail for supper tonight. dancing

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
L2S,
Hunting is great, finding is terrible. I've done a total of twentysix days of hunting. About half was for deer, the rest for birds. Not a single grouse or woodcock flush, a few quail. There were lots of squirrels, chipmunks and mice to keep a pup interested.
I've found that Lightfield Lowrecoil slugs will shoot to sights to fifty yards. I wouldn't use them any further, from the right barrel. They are about four inches apart and pretty close to level. The left barrel is right on, the right just crosses to 4" to the left at fifty. It does a good pattern with #1 Buckshot Winchester shells. That will still keep nine pellets on a twelve inch circle at fifty yards. I was pleased with those. I've got a few others to test, when my face is a little less sore. None of the other slugs were anywhere close. Some wouldn't even hit a 2'x2' target at fifty yards with either barrel. Some would hit with one, but not the other. A few got both on paper, but still spread far apart in both directions. Velocity and slug weight both needed to be lower to bring them together. Most of the heavier loads crossed terribly. The Lightfields were one of the lightest and slowest loads tested. If off the shelf doesn't work, it's off to the loading bench and and an order from Precision Reloading. Those Lightfields still kill deer. I've used them in my old Mossberg 835 for years because they are the most accurate in it. At this point in VA, I'll carry a slug in the left and #1 in the right and a rifle shell in the bottom when I'm in a tree stand. Haven't had time to work on the shooting the adapters yet.
Bfly

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
..... some of you might have come up with a solution for this .....

I've got a 20/20-9.3x74R Suhler Drilling and it too has a low stock that doesn't afford alot of cheek weld when using the scope with this thumper; it wasn't the bite that really bugged me although it was uncomfortable to shoot this way - it was the long, slow process of attempting to get a good stock weld and align my eye with the scope.

I simply took one of the black synthetic buttstock ammo carriers and removed the elastic ammo loops. Using the black elastic I inserted a combination of cutout foam & cardboard inserts to make an improvised Montel Carlo that doesn't alter the buttstock permanently.

I managed to build the Monte Carlo up @ 3/4" and it works well enough to afford a proper cheek weld with this cartridge and the Drilling shoots a lot more comfortably now.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have this problem with my Ferlach combination. I have looked at having the stock bent upwards, but gunsmiths on looking at the wood advise against it - too much risk. I have thought of using a piece of walnut to make a Monte Carlo type comb with cheek piece (I have a plain no cheek ice stock). This would be fastened by either a captive nut let into the comb and a screw, or even better using the bayonet type fitting that Sauer use on their sling fittings.

Seems like far to much work, so I have simply taken a piece of leather that is laced around the stock, built up the comb with some foam rubber ( from and old camping mat) and then covered this with a piece of thin leather. Works a treet, hasnt damaged the stock. If shooting open sights I can quickly remove it, or indeed juy scrunch my face down and still use them.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
I too have this problem with my Ferlach combination. I have looked at having the stock bent upwards, but gunsmiths on looking at the wood advise against it - too much risk. I have thought of using a piece of walnut to make a Monte Carlo type comb with cheek piece (I have a plain no cheek ice stock). This would be fastened by either a captive nut let into the comb and a screw, or even better using the bayonet type fitting that Sauer use on their sling fittings.

Seems like far to much work, so I have simply taken a piece of leather that is laced around the stock, built up the comb with some foam rubber ( from and old camping mat) and then covered this with a piece of thin leather. Works a treet, hasnt damaged the stock. If shooting open sights I can quickly remove it, or indeed juy scrunch my face down and still use them.

Makes a helluva lot of sense! Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.accu-riser.com. They are in Carlisle, PA, just down the road from you.

I just went back to his site and I now remember that Gary copied my english speedbag and now markets the one shown in the photo. You should try one for carrying a quantity of shells comfortably. I use a waist belt rather than a shoulder strap as I hate to have the bag swing on my shoulder if I bend over.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Accu-riser.

I picked up one on my last trip to the Carlisle area for my BBF. You can install it as a permanent installation or use the velcro strap for a temp install. I set up mine for a temp, so I could remove it should I want to just use the 12ga barrel. My only "modification" was to place a piece of that "non slip weaved" material between the stock and the accu-riser. This helps keep in in place, so far, so good.

I've seen Gerry's modification and it works, just like the accu-riser, not pretty, but very functional.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote