New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rail mount scopes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What manufacturer produce scopes equipped with a rail for claw mount usage?

Are there any adaptors allowing for 'normal' rings and scopes to be used with a double claw set up?

Questions, questions, questions! Smiler

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ziess, Swarovski and Schmidt&Bender they all make two or three different styles of rails.

Regarding "adaptors" one could have a rifle smith fit a "any styled" one piece base with claws to the drilling and then use weaver rings to mount a any sized scoped, however then you are stuck with the scope and have to first take that of and then the base due to the function of claw mounts.

On the 100 000 sek drilling above some one has fitted the clawring feets to weaver styled top rings, not an all that bad job and for this perticular rifle one can still use the claw mounts as intended.

I belive Apel Eaw do have things like this in there catalog.

Further more, with an existing claw mount one is limited in lenght as to how long the new scope can be, the claws has to be able to swing out, and the ocular of the scope can´t be to far back either.

There are rings for standard scopes to be set in claw mounts for sure, in Sweden just having then fitted and brought in from germany would be about 400-450 pounds, or 6000 sek.

Now I belive that I have set the ball in motion.

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

All the major European scope manufacturers make the vast majority of their scope SKU's with or without a Rail.

Claw Mounts DO NOT neccessarily require a Rail; many scopes mounted to both Claw & Pivot Mounts use Scope Rings instead of a Rail. Actually; the use of Rings instead of a Rail will afford a lower scope mount if the height of the assembled Scope/Mount is a consideration. Both a Rail & a Ring Mount will have to allow enough clearance for the the angle between the scope's objective lens and the Rib or barrel to lever it enough to release or mount it to the firearm.

The main consideration here are the scope's measurements vs. the location of the (Claw Feet) Mounts.

Since measuring for Eye Relief, the scope measurements & the Mounting Feet are usualy taken by the Gunsmith and then installed according to the orginal owner's wishes; you can find a pretty braod spectrum of measurements, some being pretty bizzare.

http://www.eaw.de/eaw/index_uk.php

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote