THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Scope for the new Drilling... in a Quandary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for the new Drilling... in a Quandary
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am really fond of the Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the circle dot reticle. However i think it is a little too big for my drilling. I would like to have a scope that is smaller so it is easy to carry at all times while using the drilling.
I would also like more power than the 1-4 power scopes. I am thinking about the Kahles 2-7x36.
Good optics, low as well as high power, and a nice small compact size.

What do yall think?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I think that either the Kahles or a Leupold 1-3/4x6 would be perfect, and were it me, I would likely go with the Kahles since it appears clearer and brighter to my eyes. Given the size differences, I would sure rather have either of those than the monster 2.5 to 10 by 56mm that I have on mine.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I would also consider a couple of other criterea around the specific scope itself; the height off the rib and the type of mounting system which will all vary depending on which type of mount is selected.

The way you would like to have your scope mounted on a Drilling, Fixed (affects flexility), Swing Mounts, Claw Mounts, Talley's, ect. this would also affect the options available without going into some serious custom work = price (the sky's the limit!).

Personally I would only consider a European 42 objective lens with a Claw Mount for a Drilling which for my taste offers the right amount of tradition, available bits & pieces and (for me at least) compactness (for some already a 42mm obj. lens scope size is a monster!).

Decisions!?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry
It will be a claw mount for sure.
I know I will be using this gun a lot so a good scope is in order. I never skimp on setting a gun up, as when I am a long way from home I want everything right.
It is usually cheaper to do it right in the first place.

Since a lot of the time i will be carrying the scope in a pouch of vest I really would like a fairly small one. My wifes drilling has a Kahles 4X in claw mounts and it is perfect in size. I would like to be able to have a little lower, and a little higher magnification, but stay with that size scope, thus the 2-7 Kahles.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Ah.....Yes, those European 4x32's and 4x36's were some really nifty pieces of kit!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2-7 Kahles AH with the 4a reticule thats about two years old. The scope is nothing special. While the reticule is just right in size it turns pink in bright light like the other American scopes do. Perhaps you are looking at some other Kahles that I am not familar with.

The eye relief is rather short on this Kahles and the power ring turns almost too easy. I suppose the price does not bother you at over $500 but I would look at other scopes a little more.

On the other hand the optics are good and it has the Euro look and name. I would not buy another.

Zeiss will have the Conquest out soon in 2.5-8. Thats the one that I will get next.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99
Thanks for your reply.
I had a chance to compare a Kahles 2-7 with a Swarovski 1.5-6x42.
It looks like I will go with the Swarovski. I like them, I have 2 of them with the circle dot illuminated reticle. It is a little larger than I originally wanted, but it is a great scope.

Gerry
You are no doubt correct, the added advantage of a 42 MM objective, plus the illuminated reticle will greatly enhance the all round hunting ability of my drilling.
It will see a lot of use, it deserves the best scope possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99,

I have no experience with Kalhes' AH line, so I'll have to take your word on them. Sorry to hear this though because the old-fashioned European line has always been great value for the money. I have three, a 1.5-6x42 and 2 6x42's. I also had a 3-12x56 that was an oustanding scope that got traded in a rifle deal that I just couldn't refuse. They have given me years of excellent service; the 1.5-6x42 having been on my "Go To" Rifle for 20+ years. Unlike yours the power ring on mine is VERY solid and the optics excellent.

As for the recticle turning pink in direct sunlight I notice this also (I consider mine a brownish hue) I can only imagine that this is due to the metal and coating the recticle itself is made of and receives on finishing. You're correct the Zeiss' don't do this but for my thinking this is due to the fact the Zeiss recticles are etched onto the glass, not a separte piece.

I think my Kahles loyalty goes back to our old military Rod & Gun Club days when the Kahles' scopes were sold at such great prices we almost couldn't afford NOT to put them on our rifles. I bought the last three Kahles scopes the Berlin Rod & Gun Club had in stock; a 1.5-6x42, 6x42 & 8x56, all three for the princely sum of $600.00 so that gives you the general idea. I wish those days were still with us!

Even though Kahles is a Swarovski subsidiary when you put their scopes side-by-side and can afford the difference, the Swarovski appears so much more brilliant compared to the Kahles.

I like your decision. Plus it's your retirement present. You & your Drilling only deserve the VERY best! Send us a pic and another story when it's complete.

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
The old scopes with the non centering reticules did not turn brown in bright light. Then when Lyman went to the "PermaCenter" reticule it started. Today the Leupolds and others do that also.

But the Zeiss Diatal and Conquest do not fade today. Why I don't know.

Last night I did a test of the light gathering comparing a Leu Vari-x 111 3.5-10 to a 3-9 Conquest and they were about the same light wise but the crosshairs on the Leu became invisble much earlier than the Conquest.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have decided to mount a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle.
I have one of these scopes on my 9,3x74R double rifle. I have hunted this rifle in Tx and africa twice. It has worked perfectly at distances from 15 yards to a little over 300 yards. I also have one of those scopes on my Blaser 375 H&H R 93.
It has a very wide field of view on 1.5x, and anything I shoot with a 30-06 drilling 6x should be more than enough.

The scope is a little larger than I would possibly like, as a lot of the time the scope will be carried off of the gun, but all in all I really like this scope.