Find
Notify
Tools

Rare German Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Hope its o.k. to do this here! Found this and thought the story was fun to read, if true or not.
What really got me more than anything was looking at the inletting and seeing how good it still is today. This fellow done some masterful work!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=116560014

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice piece, WAYYYY overvalued. First of all, I wouldn't buy that story with a bridge attached. Second, and most importantly, the gun for sale has NO claw mounts for a scope, so this couldn't possibly be the one in the picture. Fun and creative fiction however. 20 grand?? In my opinion, not even close to 5 figures. The seller has got to get real on this one.

Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle is most likely not a x74R rather a x72R looking at the action and age-

Yes the picture and the story is just a salespitch, any one paying 20 k for that rifle is getting robbed.

Still a great ds, I would love to have it,

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
bsflag

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I agree, not worth the money and a line of BS a mile long. I've been in pawn shops just like that! Big Grin

But you have to agree a lot of work went into this gun and has a certian cool factor to it. I too would like to handle it.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsflag

and worth about 1/4 the starting price if 9,3X72R and 1/3 if 9,3X74R.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to chime in, I agree that this gun is probally a 72R rather than a 74R and talked with a fellow that has looked it over prior to it being listed and do know that he has a standing offer that is higher than most would expect it is worth but under his reserve. Also note the picture of the gun with Goering is a boxlock and the gun for sale is a back action,
(so much for that documentation). This gun was built by Heinrich Scherping 1831-1913 and his business continued until 1937 as advertised in Wild & Hund. I have about a dozen of this gentlemans fine firearms and am the point of contact on Scherping guns for the German gun Collectors Assn. I have a H Scherping .500 express double rifle with an undocumented story also. It supposely came to America with with a
surgeon named William Eby who was the army doctor that performed the post mortam autopsy on Goering after his suicide from ingesting potassium cyanide to escape the hangmans noose after the Nuremberg trials. This story was told to me by the dealer that obtained the gun from his son, there was no documentation to support the story, it is a gorgeous gun with damascuss bbl's, fine rose & scroll engraving, both trigger set, flip up tang sight & moon front sight. Heinrich Scherping guns rival any of the fine english guns in my opinion.

m4220 Wink

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm also a fan of Scherping's quality work. They all share common characteristics but each one is uniquely different. Some of M4220's Scherping guns are pictured in the archives forum on Nitroexpress.com for those interested.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, can't beleive the story. Pretty sure I have seen a few photos of Goring with a bolt gun of a much more modern make.

I doubt he would have been using a hammer gun with the availability of guns to him.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
M4220: Thanks for the info, must be a wonderful collection you have there.

daleatkins: Thanks for your info, I'll go take a look!

I myself am into bolt actions more or less. I weave in and out of these other sights, because I love all guns, and when I see one like this I know a damn nice gun when I see one! As nice as it looks today, I can only guess what It's owner must have felt when he went and picked it up for the first time from such a fine gunbuilder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you love bolt guns, then your really in for a treat when you see some of the Scherping 98 mausers, I have a least 4. Hex to round bbl with full rib express sights, side panel stock, cartridge trap, double set triggers, horn butt plates, claw mount scopes. I think there are some pic's of a couple of mine where Dale stated. When I say rival to the British guns
I think superior in quality to most.

m4220

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m4220: Hex to round bbl with full rib express sights.m4220

I've never seen a hexagon to round.. But alot of octagon to round..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOP's, was typing faster than my brain while on lunch hour at work, thanks for correcting me

m4220 killpc

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I wasn't trying to be a smart azz,m4220. I thought there might be a different set up than I'd ever seen.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guy's, even though all have differing opinions on its value, it now has found a spot residing in my safe & as for the cartridge it is not a 9.3 will chamber cast soon but I am thinking more like a .500 express. I just got back from picking up the gun & will post more after I determine the calibre.

m4220

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of M4220's Scherping guns are pictured in the archives forum on Nitroexpress.com for those interested.

I signed up over at Nitro, but never got anything on a search... could have been me , I'll try again. Would love to see them!

n4220: Something told me you wanted that gun, good for you, shame we are not neighbors, I'd like to see HER up close and the rest of the collection. ENJOY...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
srtax,
you may want to stretch your search out to 3 years to catch the pic's, it's been a while since they were posted. Just search Scherping for the last 3 years and you should come up with some of or try seaching m4220

m4220

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way preliminary research of the calibre is leaning toward 11.43 x 59R (45 Turkish Peabody) or (45 Peabody Martini) as it was called in America.

m4220

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M4220,
Congratulations, beautiful rifle.

srtrax,
just scroll through the mauser archive, there are several on different pages. Plenty of eye candy so it might take you a while. :^)

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Dale,

That is the problem, everytime I hit a page there I find I've spent to much time looking and reading. Wink
Good stuff over there also, I'll do the search as you explained, Thanks!

m4220,
Cant say this wasn't a Great CHRISTmas... Smiler