New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hullo - I have a problem.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, My name is Ian..... and I'm a Combi-holic!! Smiler There, I've admitted it!

Oh yes, I thought I could handle it - after all, I have been hunting for years. Shotguns, Rifles - Airguns - had them all.

Sure, I've dabbled in the soft stuff - who hasn't!?! Started by trying a BBF - walked a wood or two, you know how it goes? Didn't really get what the other folks were on about - why were combi weapons considered to be the 'real stuff'?

Then I took a Roe with iron sights. Shortly after, a Fallow deer fell to the BRNO - aided by the QD scope that had travelled in my pocket. Things started to get more intense - the rush hit me as another Roe fell to the single shot rifle. No magazine needed when you tap that set trigger on high percentage shots.

Pigeons fell to the tightly choked barrel - killed with an authority that set me grinning like a fool. The shorter barrels force me to concentrate on my swing - the results are better shooting than I have previously enjoyed.

Yesterday though, my life changed! I walked into a local store and saw a lonely figure leaning against a rack. The sexy curves, the confident lines - the sense of quality and experience. Smitten does not do it justice! I have fallen completely for those charms. A short conversation and yes, she had a price - truly, a lady of negotiable virtue! Would you think less of me if I said that she was cheap?

So, there it is - now I am the owner of a lovely Sauer Drilling in 16 gauge over a 7x57r. She comes complete with a 2-7 Hertel & Reuss rail scope with fitted claw mounts.

Somehow I can't see that there is any chance of me recovering from this addiction. However, with the support of other folks such as yourselves - others who understand the problems and the pleasures I'm going to encounter - I think I'm going to be happy at last!! Smiler

Glad to be a part of an exclusive club folks - and looking forward learning from your accumulated experience!

Rgds Ian Wink

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

I can tell just by this that you're a helluva a guy! wave

I have five drillings, a two barrel cape/SXS shotgun set, and a BBF presently, but this drought will end soon. Big Grin

Welcome, and please post some pix of that temptress. Eeker

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a drilling. Aren't these things HEAVY? What do they weigh?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 16/16/7x57R? Lucky guy... The classic chamberings.

Let us know how it works out?

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

As with any fine piece of gunsmithing - it is all about the balance.

In the case of my new lady, I would guess, only in the region of 7lbs - but so beautifully balanced it feels like a wand. Sporting clays didn't stand a chance!

I guess quality will out! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I traded my Valmet 412 last spring so I guess I've been clean and sober for 10 months, 3 weeks, and 5 days.

Wait, what's this? A Savage 24 in the back of the safe? Urrk!

"Hello, my name is Nordrseta and I have a problem."

See you at the next meeting...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I have never owned a drilling. Aren't these things HEAVY? What do they weigh?
Peter.

Some...but not all. I had a very sweet sideplated box lock Kettner in 16 2 3/4" and 8X57JRS that was a whopping 6.25 pounds. I loved the gun...so I sold it... CRYBABY

Most I've had go from 7-7 1/2 pounds sans scope. You need to remember that the rifle barrels aren't much thicker than the shotgun tubes.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok - looking at the scope with more interest, I note the adjustments bear no resemblance to a more modern unit! Confused

Any of you gurus able to confirm my thinking please?

Right hand turret is for reticle focus adjustment?

Upper turret controls BOTH windage and elevation.

I'm guessing the ring marked 'H' is the elevation (Hoch?) which just leaves windage. Any ideas what the S may stand for? Immediate idea was Rechts und Links - so where does the S fit in?

Grateful for any thoughts prior to getting to the range and burning ammo just to establish the scope functions! Smiler

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

your scope is an old Hertel & Reuss, the company now is owned by Nickel

http://www.nickel-ag.com/

H means "hochstellen" higher
S means "senken" down

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Burkhard

Just the confirmation I needed! Smiler But - whats with the seperate rings? Two adjustment rings for up and down?

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

My wife and I both have Sauer 3000 12x12x30-06 Drillings. Both have scopes in claw mounts.

These Sauers handle better tham my 12ga Browning Citori.

They are light and well balanced.

These are the same Drilling that Sauer made for Colt a while back.

The Colt guns are found with 12 ga shotgun bbls and either 243 or 30-06 rifle bbls.

Most Sauer marked guns in the US are in 30-06.

Sometimes you find one with a 9,3x74R bbl.

They are great hunting guns.
Especially so if fitted with a scope in claw mounts.

I have taken turkey squirrels and grouse with the scope on the gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
I think the S may mean Seiten or seitenverstellung to give it its full name,aka windage adjustment.I am sure I have seen that once before.
You are correct on the focus adjustment for the right hand turret
Failing that your windage is adjustable on the base of the rear einhak mount.The 2 lowest screws adjust windage by slackening one side and tightening the opposite.
It would probably be a good idea to take them out and oil them first.They have maybe been there a while !
Happy shooting !!

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sika,

you are right. Didn't see that there are 2 rings. Asked my smith

H - Höhenverstellung (up and down)
S- Seitenverstellung (right and left)

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents - excellent news, do appreciate not having to expend lots of ammo to work out operation! Smiler

VMT Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Folks,

This is my new lady - I have to say, I think we will be very happy together! Smiler

Rgds Ian Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian, sure looks nice, I would guess you have here sighted in and all.

Have you patterned the shot barrels, do they shoot tight?

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pre-war drillings I've seen all had the right barrel choked full and the left barrel choked insanely beyond full. I had Skeets Gun Shop in Tahlequah Oklahoma open mine up to improved cylinder and improved modified. It made it much more useful for U.S. wing shooting

Brazos Jack

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris

Not yet got a load worked out - but that will happen soon. Going to have to take a few Roe with this baby - the rut will be under way in only a couple months!

Meanwhile - as BrazosJ surmised - the choking is tight alright! Clays were getting 'smoked' in a most gratifying manner. The fact that it is perfectly fitted for me, aligning perfectly every time makes it almost too easy!! Smiler

Rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian I see why you got rid of the BRNO now. Your new baby certainly is a looker. Did you look at the combination on guntrader with those calibres. Thats the one I am interested in.

Grant

Posts: 74 | Location: England | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote