New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sights on a combination gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What kind of sights works best for you? Do the rifle sights spoil the shotgun / wingshooting? Are there QD rifle sights or something that will fold completely into the rib?

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Scott:
What kind of sights works best for you? Do the rifle sights spoil the shotgun / wingshooting? Are there QD rifle sights or something that will fold completely into the rib?

I use a Williams 5D, you can take the insert out and end up with a big aperture. I haven't had any trouble shooting birds with it.
I also have a folding peep sight on a 24V, just forward of the scope mount.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just love my Swarovski Z6i(2) 1-6x Circle Dot.
At 1x the sight picture is 42m wide at 100m!!!
I can shot clays and pigeons with the sight on Smiler
M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a single folding leaf, so when folded I just have a rib, with a small bead at the end. It also has a 6x42 Zeiss scope in a claw mount that detaches in seconds. But for this to be comfortable I do use a lace n cheek piece as well. Mostly I am using it as a rifle or a shotgun, but not hunting birds and deer at the same time. I have though shot several foxes using shot barrel with scope on.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not notice the iron sights when wingshooting.

I may get to river jump some ducks in a couple of weeks and I am going to try it with the red dot on the drilling.

I have shot birds [not flying] and small game with the scope or red dot on combo guns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! After reading and poking around a bit more I am thinking that a peep site may be the way to go on this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hubertus drilling that has the usual pop up rear sight that is actuated by the selector. The front sight is an ivory bead that can fold down. When you fold it down a silver blade pops up. This is the nicest setup for me. This gun is also set up with a scope on a set of QR Talley's.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 1.5-6x on my BBF over a number of years, and found that on 1.5x it suited running and flying game quite nicely. I even shot clays with it successfully, simply looking through and ignoring the scope.

When I bought my drilling it had a 6x Hensoldt, which didn't suit similar use, though being on claw mounts I could readily remove it and use the pop-up open rear. I have since bought a 1,5-6x Nickel though, for similar versatility to that I had with a scope of the same magnification on my BBF.

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike
I have no problem using the shotgun with the rifle sights,I have also shot trap with a 1.5 x 5 set to 1.5 both eyes open.
Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A aimpoint is a fast sight that works both for shotgun and rifle enough for wingshooting and driven hunts.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot birds adequately with the claw-mounted scopes on my drillings. It comes from a lot of concentration on the bird and ignoring the scope. If people would practice a bit at a trap range, they would get similar results, I'm sure. I'm not a great bird shot, so good shots would do even better.

The open sights never are a factor when bird shooting. I look at birds and am only conscious of the gun and barrel. The gun should be an extension of your body. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel 16/9.3X74R drilling that has the usual fold down rear iron sight in the rib, but it also has a neat aperture sight at the rear of the barrel that lifts up with a fingernail. It was probably designed as a diopter to sharpen the focus on the forward iron sights, but it works well as the only rear sight. I'll try to post a photo. It would be easy to make for anyone with machining skills. Even lost-wax casting would work well.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Get yerself a Hoenig vierling and the shotgun has a bead and the rifles have scope/sights...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of the fold down aperture in the rib of my drilling. It can be used in conjunction with the iron sights to sharpen the image, or used alone with the rear sight folded as a ghost ring sight.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the flip up peep sights.