New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drilling Operating Pressures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm curious as to the way pressures act on drilling actions. It would seem to me that back thrust pressures would be the culprit in pushing an action off face over time. Am I on the right track on this? Any suggested reading?
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To many heavy shot loads will set the drilling of face.

Remenber that many of them are 16/65 or there likes, only true modern ones are 20/76..

The rifled barrel is centered and low in the system, owerpresurres there usualy leads to a "kablam"

Best regards Chris

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its late at nite here, and, I am a little slow tonight. Would you explan 16/65? I'm drawing a blank.
Thanks
Bfly

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
16 gauge with 65mm chambers...don't use anything resembling heavy shotshell loads and use 2 9/16" or 65 mm length shells. Kent Gamebore supplies them.

Listen to Husky regarding the rifle ammo, too. I load about 10% back of "book" for drillings.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. My drilling is out at Dr. Perodeaux's getting a face lift. She was loose when I got her. Just want to be sure I don't recreate the problem. Its a short 16 with 9.3x74. Already have short light shot shells and setting up to reload same. Considering doing mostly cast or paper patched cast for the rifle for whitetails and the range. This will be woods gun her on the east coast and my standard back up gun on trips. As the back up, I will also have her set for standard bullets as well. Hopefully they will be the same load I will use in my Chapuis.
Bfly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news Black Fly, the rifled barrel can be loaded according to the books just dont push it.

For the 9,3x74R the Norma oryx 232 grain bullet is really good.

16/65 shot rounds are nice and will get you any game you shot and hit with them.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drillings can take similar pressures to any double shotgun designed for that length shell. The rifles can also take factory load pressures that they are designed for. so called "Setback" isn't really a problem in drillings; any more than it is in other type actions. Unless the chambers/cartridges are oily, setback or breech pressure is minimal.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote