New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drilling at work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got to put one of my Simson drillings to use recently. A PA coyote, and a whitetail. 7x65R using 154gr Hornady's, handloaded to 2650fps. Very effective, in both cases.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I expected a Trilogy with your Drilling, not a Duo.....got another photo somewhere? I think we need to start the AR Drilling McNab; has to be three photos of a different animal taken with each barrel of your Drilling?

Big Grin

Waidmannsheil!

The 154 gr. Hornady Spitzers or the RN's? I load the RN's in my Buddies 12x12x7x65R Drilling and he considers them a very good bullet outa his Drilling.

I love to hunt in the snow; very tranguil IMO; as long as it's not a Blizzard.....

Great Photos and keep up the good Drilling work.

thumb

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job, it´s great to see a driling come to good use,

Gerry, would a great Mcnab not be a;

good bird of sorts, duck, goose, pheasant, grouse, ptarmingan,

good hoofed aninmal, boar, deer, and so forth

predator, fox, yote, lynx,

all taken in a days work?

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I guess since it's my idea I get to make the Rules. As far as I'm concerned a Drilling McNab just has to be three different animals; each taken with a different barrel, and not in any particular order or time frame. As long as you've got the photo(s) to back it up.

The combinations are endless. Unlike a Scotish McNab I would conisder a Drilling McNab fun; certainly not as stressful as all the single day running around with a Rifle, Shotgun and Fly Rod as in Scotland.

You can even shoot a Fish as far as I'm concerned!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsdank!

Good idea on the McNab, Gerry! I agree that keeping it fun, is the best course, to heck with all that stuffiness!

Gerry, I forgot to answer your bullet question. They are the 154gr spitzer. They acted perhaps a bit fragile. No exit on the coyote. He was facing me straight on at 100yds, and I centerpunched him in the chest, and he dropped at the shot, with nary a twitch. The whitetail was shot a few days later, damn near in the same place the 'yote was standing! He was quartering towards me, and I hit him at the neck/shoulder junction. Hit rib on the way in, and a small piece of bullet/jacket exited the off side, just forward of the hindquarter. The internal damage was impressive. Just a flap of heart left, and the lungs were just plain gone! He made a short dash of about 40-50 yards. No blood trail whatsoever. Don't think I'd try any heavy bone busting with this load, in the future. I was surprised, given the modest velocity. I have some 156gr Norma Oryx', that I want to try next. They didn't arrive in time for this hunt. I'm not knocking the Hornady mind you. I've killed a bunch of game with them, in various rifles, and all the animals died! I just want something a little tougher, for an all around, hunt everything load.

Regards,

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say I'm envious, Jeff. I've yet to pop a cap this year and need to get moved up to Libby MT for good soon...mulies, whitetail, elk, black bear, turkeys, 3 varieties of forest grouse...drilling country. wave

Great Drilling! Great Photos! Wink Cool

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:

< As far as I'm concerned a Drilling McNab just has to be three different animals; each taken with a different barrel, and not in any particular order or time frame. As long as you've got the photo(s) to back it up. >

Sounds like a plan!
Retrospective, or starting from now?

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I for one started as soon as Gerry spoke the word, in the mans own words, one for each barrel.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bruce!

Best wishes on the move. Libby sounds wonderful.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:
I for one started as soon as Gerry spoke the word, in the mans own words, one for each barrel.

Best regards Chris

Sounds good!

I'm in as of this morning. Only a fox, but it will do until bird and deer season open.
Roll on April! Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice. I have a double rifle in 7x65R and the only bullet it shoots well is a 175 grain Hornady. For some reason the lighter bullets just don't shoot well in my gun. I've taken a few whitetail and a fallow deer all one shot kills. The whitetails passed through the fallow deer didn't.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote