Find
Notify
Tools

Quest for a Drilling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My quest for a Drilling is underway.
I think a 12x12x9,3x74R, with a 222 [I would prefer a 223 if possible] insert barrel is my final choice.
I plan to try for several of the smaller cats on my next Africa Trip, and plan to do a bit of bird shooting as well. The addition of the 222 bbl is for the small cats outside of shotgun range, as well for gud use in the USA.
The Drilling will be scoped of course.

What do ya'll think?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great that is what I think how ever I would go with a rimmed .22 round and stay away from the .222-3 rounds.

There is a 6x70 made by Norma here in Sweden that has a lot in common with the 9,3x74 regarding style and design. If I where free to choose I would go with that or any other flanges .22 cal

Best regards Christian N

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be hard to find ammo or cases for the 6x70R outside some European countries. Same goes for the 5.6x50R or the 5.6x52R (.22 Sav.)

Fuhrmann

Posts: 110 | Location: Switzerland, Zug area (but German by birth...) | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah you might be right but then I would go for the .22 hornet that sorts of has a flaged case.

the 6x70 would be a dream to build a ruger nr 3 on.

Best regards Christian

one of us
posted Hide Post
My chjoice of drilling may be changing.
If I get a 9,3x74R bbl I will not be able to take it AND my 9,3 Chapuis through South Africa at the same time.
My wife has a Sauer 3000 in 12x12x30-06. I have used it as a shotgun for ducks, quail, doves, grouse, squirrel, rabbits, and turkey.
I like the way it handles as a shotgun better than my Citori o/u.
I have located one in great shape, looks brand new from the pictures, just like hers, 12x12x30-06. It does not have a scope mount, but that is no problem for JJ.
Also It would be handy for her and I to use the same shells in our drillings as we will use them when backpacking for bears and grouse.
It is hard to beat a 30-06, and loaded ammo can be found any where.
However tha main thing that attracts me to this drilling is the way it handles and the fact it can go to Africa WITH my 9,3 Chapuis without any Drama.
Also JJ Perodeau recommends the Sauer 3000 as a good gun.
What do ya'll think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are happy with the extraction of the rimless rounds by the Sauer, then I'd go for it. If you and your wife use the same rounds, then you are going to limit the amount of things that can go wrong on a hunt, especially if both guns shoot well with the same rounds.

Good luck with your choice, you really cannot go wrong with a 30/06 (provided it will extract!)

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave
While I havenot taken any game with the rifle bbl my wife has taken deer and wild pigs.
I have shot the '06 bbl a fair amount with factory and reloads developing loads and sighting it in. I have never had any problems with extraction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you might as well grab it, since the Kreighoff isn't happening for you.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote