New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insert barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone point me towards makers of centrefire insert barrels suitable for a Merkel 12/12/9.3x74R drilling. Will the ones marketed for Krieghoff's fit.

Thanks in advance,

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they will. Check with the www.drillinghotline.com

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out a Frankonia catalog from Germany. They sell a number of insert barrels by various makers. Most are very high quality and can be adjusted for point of impact to your existing sights. They can be removed and replaced without changing p.o.i. The 22 hornet is a very popular one. I checked my catalog and found, 2H.
222,5.6x50,5.6x52,6x70,6.5x57r,7x57r8x57r,9.3x74. Only problem is reading German. The website is www.frankonia.de

Tom

Posts: 30 | Location: Juneau Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Insert barrels are very poular here in Germany in Drillings and Over/Under combo rifles.

Having said that there is a caveat. They are normally inserted for folks in .22 Winchester Mangum (for Foxes and small game pests) and or a .224" (.227" for .22 Savage High Power which is extremely popular here as a Roe Deer cartridge) caliber to add some cartridge flexibility. Naturally, this detracts from folks who still require the use of two shotgun tubes.

The Kreighoff's can also be had in shorter lengths than the full length of the shotgun tubes and are ususally seen in .22rf and .22 Magnum. They don't lend themsleves particularly well to removal and reinsertion as the fine screw adjustments are in the chamber area and will drive you crazy trying to sight them back in to the intital settings when removed. The newer full-length tubes with muzzle adjustments don't suffer from this ailment.

In the lager calibers, there are the caveats & fine print (trmungle's issue with reading German) in the catalogs (and advice given by your local gunsmith) where it is normally stated that the manufaturer or installing gunsmith must observe pressure limits, suitability of the firearm for the overall insert concept, the rifle/shotgun itself AND the sometimes reductions/gunsmithing required to the shotgun firing pins to make everything work according to Hoyle. Every manufacturer states in their fine print that the smaller calibers/gauges are suitable for Drillings & O/U's and the larger caliber (above .224"-.227") inserts & conversions are normally ONLY suitable for OVER/UNER guns.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not a talented German gunsmith. I'm sure a Drilling as stout as a Merkel in excellent condition could digest all that you may have in mind as a concept for a "triple" 9.3x74R (Kugel Drilling) but ordering two additional (very expensive) insert barrels and then getting them correctly installed and sighted-in on the otherside of the globe may involve some logistical issues that could be difficult to overcome.

I took the liberty of making a telephone call to Keppeler (website below - in German) explained what the concept is (9.3x74R Kugel Drilling) and they reiterated exactly what I've explained above; that they wouldn't recommend this installation/conversion without initially having the Drilling for inspection.

As stated above, Frankonia & Kettner sell barrel inserts and sub-caliber devices for manufacturers as do most gunsmiths in Germany. The most widely advertised and installed are from Kreighoff, Zimmermann & Keppeler.

http://www.keppeler-te.de/

Have fun with your "Kugel Drilling" quest.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Gerry just about covered it all. I just want to add that Krieghoff does not make their own insert barrels anymore. They are now made by Keller & Simman, and they are of excellent quality. The two drillings where you usually can use the bigger bore insert barrels are Krieghoff Optima (steel receiver) and the Blaser D99.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In one of my drilling, I have both the 22lr and 22 mag insert barrels. If they are installed correctly per Krieghoff's instructions and sighted in they will repeat the poi and not have to be resighted. They are a pain to get initally sighted in. Very accurate and worthwhile,as they can be inserted or removed in seconds.
Tom

Posts: 30 | Location: Juneau Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trmungle,

Glad your inserts are giving you accuracy & repeatability in your Drilling.

I stand corrected and you've got it right on the initial set-up and/or re-insertion of the inserts. I know one of the routines for sure is a pain in the butt.

Several times a year have some of the local gunsmiths sitting the better part of the afternoon at a bench with a Drilling, new insert barrel and a small screwdriver.

They sure cuss alot and kick the trash can frequently.

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote