Find
Notify
Tools

Quest for Drilling Over
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have my Drilling.
This weekend while messing around on the internet I found a Sauer 300 12x12x30-06, just like my wifes, except that it does not have a scope mount, at collectors gun store in Houston TX. Since it was a Holiday I could not contact the store to see if it was still in stock, so I took a gamble and left Dallas at 6AM arriving at the store at a little after 10.
Sure enough the drilling was still there.
this gun was made in the 1960's and looking at the breech face it does not look like it has been shot since it was made. It is in perfect brand new condition.
So I bought it. I do not know who is happier me or my wife [because I will not be trying to sneak her drilling out or trick her into letting me borrow it].
After this turkey season I will take it to JJ at Champlin Arms where I will have a scope instlled in claw mounts. Probably a Kahles 2-7, a small scope to keep the gun handy and make the scope easy to carry on my person off the gun.
I stopped off at Gander mountain on the way back and bought some Brenneke KO Sabot slugs, some 180 gr Federal Fusion, and some low recoil Federal 170 grain loads. I will test these and some other slugs and 30-06 rounds I have as soon as possible.
I hope to shoot a turkey and a wild pig next weekend with it.
I also could not resist and I bought me a Browning 22 semi-auto, the John Browning designed take down model. I have wanted one since I was a kid and these 2 guns are my retirement presents to myself.
A drilling is one of my favorite guns to nhunt with.

While in Houston I also met Rusty, he came to the gunstore and then we had a great lunch and a great visit.
All in all a great day.

If you hurry you can still see it on their website.
check under shotguns, then drillings and combination guns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Wow Tony, you are a true romantic. His and Her's matched drillings. clap cheers

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I hope you have a lot of fun with your retirement present. Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar9.3 and Hog killer
Thanks.
I plan to use this drilling quite a bit. I have found a drilling to be a most excellent hunting gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drillings are great! But the 30-06 might not be the best option???!? Might not be an issue, but the rimmed calibres usually extract better. Have you considered having it made into a 30R blaser? Just a though

Posts: 149 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has had a drilling just like mine for several years. We have not had any extraction problems with it. I have not had any with my new drilling either.
You just cannot fine any of the rimmed drilling ammo in the USA with out great difficulty.
So far the 30-06 has worked perefectly with factory and handloads.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
And I thought the trip to Africa was the retirement present... rotflmo

Congratulations on the recent additions!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote