New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter's Combo Gun.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My daughter has been Tagging along on a few hunt's (if you can call being wheeled into a treestand or hide hunting!), and has started to pester me for "her own gun just like Dads!". Well, the 7x57R is just way too much for her, similarly the 12g. So I cast around and found something I think will fill the bill for her for now, a Savage 24 in .22lr/410g. Trim a little off the stock to adapt it to her short arms, trim the BBLs back (it's one of the old ones, with the BBLs soldered together) to balance it, and she should be good to go, for small game and pigeons or doves.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sambar,

Lucky girl!

From my (& obviously your point of view) I consider this an ideal first rifle for a younster. It won't set you back a fortune, the stock easy enough to cut off (an eventually replace), the iron sights are fantastic for beginners to learn the fundementals and the combination of barrels affords all kinds of shooting potential.

Good thinking - Dad!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
I sure agree with Gerry (and you...) that this is a great starter gun.

I bet that she will love it.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
My daughter has been Tagging along on a few hunt's (if you can call being wheeled into a treestand or hide hunting!), and has started to pester me for "her own gun just like Dads!". Well, the 7x57R is just way too much for her, similarly the 12g. So I cast around and found something I think will fill the bill for her for now, a Savage 24 in .22lr/410g. Trim a little off the stock to adapt it to her short arms, trim the BBLs back (it's one of the old ones, with the BBLs soldered together) to balance it, and she should be good to go, for small game and pigeons or doves.

What do you guys think?

Sambar 9.3, that is a good choice for a small youngster. My first shotgun was a little S/S double barrel 410 ga shotgun, that had belonged to my uncle. I loved that little shotgun!
You don't say what country you live in, and that could make a difference as to how much barrel you cut back. If you live in the USA, be very carefull not to cut the barrels back to shorter than 18 inches, makeing it illegal. Also you will loose all the choke in the shot barrel, and a 410 desperately needs it's choke. The solution here is to have someone install a screw-in choke in the shot barrel.
As Harry says in his sig line, "You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time, hunt with your kids, and you wont have to hunt your kids". beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37, Here in OZ, we have roughly the same rule, 18" is it for shotguns (except NSW where it is 20" min). I plan on getting the BBL work done by a friend who also happens to be the importer for Brierly chokes.
The funny thing is the cost of the choke work will far exceed the cost of the gun!
But I have a feeling it will be worth it, when her birthday rolls around. Wink

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, final costings are in, gun $55 AUD, BBL work, inc choke, $125 AUD and stock (fitted to her) $45 AUD.

I hope she likes it.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I envy your daughter. As a kid, I never had a twentytwo or a light shotgun. It was deer rifles and 12 bores. I used to go to gun shops and salivate on those little 22/410's.
Keep hunting with her, we need those young hunters, boys and girls.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Fantastic!

You did forgot though, to include the price of a brick of .22LR's in the costing for her to get started!

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry, the last time I bought .22lr ammo, I got 2 cases of it. So finding a brick shouldn't be too hard!
What I will probably do is get out all the remnants from the testing, and see which ones shoot best in her gun, the try and find a case of that batch number. Unless we are really lucky, and her gun likes the same ammo as my 24C. Smiler

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HELP! we were at the range, working through the assorted 22 ammo to find the right one for her gun, when 'ole butterfingers (me) snapped the rear sight on her gun while adjusting it. I have cast about for a Williams peep, or a folding sight as the importers tell me that the old style sights are 'out of print'.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Oh, not good.

Post a photo of the broken bit - I bet some of us have exactly what you're lookin for in our old odds-n-ends boxes!

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem solved! A Ruger folding rear sight fits neatly into the dovetail on the 24. The local gunshop snagged one out of their 'parts bin' and fitted it. Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update, she loves the gun! First rty at hunting today, bagged a rabbit on it's way back into the blackberries at top speed. The rabbit actually slid into the bushes a way, and it was quite an operation to get it out. As I type, she is still sitting on the couch, with a grin you wouldn't believe.
I think we may have another hunter here in OZ...
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, guys.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Chapuis used to make a beautiful side-by-side combination gun which they call a Cape Gun. 20 gauge on one barrel and a whole variety of calibers for the rifled barrel. One of the 6.5mm rimmed cartridges would be an ideal caliber for such a gun. It would last forever, a real family keepsake. I don't know if they still make them, they are not on their web site.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink
I have a Chapuis 9,3x74R double rifle. I sure wish I hasd a set of Cape gun bbls in 9,3x74R/20ga.
While not as good a "hunting"gun as a Drilling a Cape Gn is very handy.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote