New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff Ultra BBF opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at a Krieghoff Ultra BBF 30-06 12/70 combo with a Zeiss 6x42 in claw mounts. Can anyone tell me a bit about the Krieghoff Ultra? HOw does it compare in quality to other combo guns? Are there any flaws in its design?

Cheers,
--Derek

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I hear (and handled on shows) a very well made rifle and thus, much more expensive than the Blaser B95 which is kind of an industry stabndard.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss 6x42 in claws is a cracking good scope - make sure it is mounted far enough forward so it doesn't smack you between the eyes - most Europeans shoot with a very head up stance and on my Hambrusch combo my scope does smack if I am not careful - especially when prone.

The Ultra is a modern design and seems well respected - certainly Kreighoff have a good reputation. Their latest technology is to use a free floating rifle barrel - most BBFs shoot very well provided you let the barrel cool between shots - in older guns the rifle barrel is soldered to the shotgun barrel which provides a very stiff barrel, if though the barrel itself is thin, but as it warms it warps upwards. With mine 2nd rapid shot is 2" high, 3rd goes 4" - and that's shooting as fast you can reload. If I give it a minute or two between shots, then three rounds touch if I do my bit.

How does it balance and feel - many BBFs are quite light and beautifully balanced for a fast handling shot gun - does make them less steady as a rifle though - just find a good rest. I regularly shoot roe deer at 100 plus metres with out any issue.

Some Kreighoff BBF's only have one lock - it will only fire the top or bottom barrel and you have to recock between shots - not an overiding concern, but when dealing with a wounded beast having buckshot and rifle can be useful - also you can use a slug in the top barrel and have a close range double rifle.

The newer Kreighoffs have a cocking mechanisms as part of the safety slide - nice and safe, but when I looked at a couple at the game fair this summer, it is quite a hard long push to cock the gun, and there is a decided metallic click.

Have a think about the 30-06 - easy to get ammo for, but the extractors for a rimless cartridge are a wee bit fidly. I use a 7x65R and even though it is a not an ejector, just turning the barrels upwards the empty falls out and very quick to reload. With a 30-06 you will have to pull the empty out of the chamber - makes a reload slightly slower.

With a normal trigger blocking safety as I have it is no issue to carry the gun broken, or if slung, to carry it empty and to then slip a round inot the chamber when required. They are much quicker and quieter to load than a bolt gun.

How does it handle as a shotgun - some combinations - especially drillings are so heavy and cumbersome the shot barrel is really only of use for sitting targets.

Some, like mine, handle like a really good double shotgun and wouldn't be out of place shooting fast flying partridges / grouse etc.

Really at the end of the day does it fit and feel comfortable.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canadaboy:
Thanks for your replies,

I understand fully what you have said about the benefits of a rimmed cartridge. However, ammunition for most european rimmed cartridges is not common here in Canada. For a reliable supply of ammunition I would have to reload. I would love to start reloading anyway, but due to my studies it is hard enough to find a few extra hours to hunt or fish, so reloading is not something I am willing to take on right now. This is the reason why the 30-06 appeals to me, even if it isn't really designed for break action guns.

Scope positioning is a good point as well, as most north americans tend to like a tight cheek weld on the stock. Fortunately I am used to high scopes and a head up shooting style, as my current stalking rifle is a Swedish Husqavarna scoped in this fashion.

As far as how the gun fits, I agree that this is important. However, the gun I am looking at is much too far way for me to be able to test, based on its stock dimensions it should fit well, but I will have to take a leap of faith.

DUK suggests that the quality may be better than Blaser, in which case the price of this gun is deffinately right. It appears to have the excellent fit and finish that is typical of Krieghoff, and has been well looked after.

I think I will jump on this one before its gone

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can always modify / adjust the fit with a strap on cheek piece / comb raiser and lengthening stock with recoil pad. Fully understand your point re availability of ammo hence 30-06. I had to start reloading for mine and actually it's very straightforward to do.

If it's available for a good price then go for it.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ultra 20 with Thermo Stabil barrels. The barrels don't touch each other anywhere. Mine is in 20GA and 9.3X74R. The rifle barrel is very accurate, so is the 20 gauge barrel with a slug. For about $2500, I could buy an insert in the 20 gauge barrel in 22, other centerfires, or even 9.3X74R to make it a double rifle. My gun has the cocking safe and it is quiet. I like it and it is extremely well built.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote