THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    what do you know about a.....Adlof-Schrotlr Muhlhausin?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what do you know about a.....Adlof-Schrotlr Muhlhausin?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a used one lined up, but I havn't been able to find any info on this maker yet,
what do you know?
9.3x72R x16gax16ga
Have not seen it yet, says it's in great condition.

deciding if it is worth the trip to look....

todays my birthday so if it reasonable?, I've always wanted a drilling, although the rifle caliber is larger than I imagined.
the spelling may or may not be 100%, the older gentleman is even more hard of hearing than myself, so it made for a brief phone discussion.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mulhausin is a town in Germany, and is where Adolf had his shop. Now, Adolf might be the maker or he might have owned a sporting goods store and had the gun made by someone else. Either way, the gun was of good quality when it was made because it was an expensive, one-off item and HAD to be good. Also, it probably hasn't been used much, because it was "liberated" by a GI in '45 and has probably has spent the last 60 years in a gun cabinet.

If you want a drilling, go look at it. It probably has 2.5" shotshell chambers, and you can buy shells from Ballistic Products and some others. Also, the rifle ammo is expensive but available.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are actually 28 towns in Germany with the name Mühlhausen and one named Mülhausen.
As one of the Mühlhausen is in Thuringia I guess this could be the right town.
When I see the caliber 9,3x72R I guss the rifle could be pre WWI or a bit younger.
The family name "Schrotlr" must be wrong the end
*tlr is not possible.
I try to find out more

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a gun of interest. Can we look at pictures? For what I WANT to hunt the x74mm sounds better and is what I own. But the simple fact is, this gun would do all of the hunting I can do in this area. And quite handily. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind that the 9.3X72R isn't much different in power than an old 38-55. It'll do deer out to around 100 yds.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I went and looked, it is kind of plain as far as engraving, and the battery was dead on the camera(my wife refuses to charge it until completely dead) but otherwise very good shape, no dings, bright bore)
is 1800 too much for this? I thought so, the guy didn't come down any, but there was a message on the machine when I got home, now he wants to deal.....

do I go back, and about how much is this critter worth?

I liked it, but I try not to pay more than I can sell it in a month....or a year anyway. how high can I go?

thanks
LT

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$1,800.00 is way too much for a garden variety 16/9,3X72R drilling. There are still good 16/8X57JR drilling floating all around for that price, and the 8X57JR is a far superior round to the 9,3X72R.

There are 16/9,3X72R drillings all over the internet for anywhere from 2X to 10X what they are worth. Some of the sellers are plain nuts!

Get in touch with Dale Nygaard here...DLN...and have him find you a good drilling for $1,600.00-$2,000.00 and avoid the guys who think their old worn out and olsolete drilling is some kind of collectors gun.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
say A M E N to luv2 safari's advice.

offer the seller about $1,000 tops if bores are perfect.

there are many better calibers in drillings

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't give him over $750. I would rather have the 16/8x57R. DLN would be one of the few ways to go. Or check with Russ Gould. Good luck. Packrattusnongratus