New
Find
Notify
Tools

Number 28
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yup, i think this is the twenty second "one shot kill" in a row, that i've made with this drilling... (8x57jrs 200NP's)

I got him yesterday which was our regular opening day firearms deer season...

In the 25 years i've owned this drilling, i've taken moose, bear, deer, turkey and all kinds of other big and small game with it for my freezer. And at 73 years old, it's still going strong! I don't think it will have any problem outliving me, and makeing someone else happy for many many years, just like it has for me.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DM

Congrats - a fine looking buck and having the added satisfaction of taking him with the single shot Smiler Well done.

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pic is wort more than thousand words,

and that right there is worth about a million,

I feel all warm at heart reading that short story, hoping that my drilling will reemerge from the smith looking as good as yours does.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DM,

Great report and Photo!

As you well know, I covet that drilling and am impressed with all you have done to and for it. Cool How is the second scope project going?

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
DM,

Great report and Photo!

As you well know, I covet that drilling and am impressed with all you have done to and for it. Cool How is the second scope project going?

Scope project it going good...

There's nothing wrong with the old B&L i also have for this gun, it just isn't a good enough low light level scope for me, as my eyes are getting "older". Confused

Anyway, so far i'm happy with the Zeiss, as the Zeiss is a world better than the B&L at dawn and dusk... I can still see and shoot with the Zeiss when the B&L is all done...

Hopefully, i'll stay impressed with it...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool Cool

shocker Better watch your back now... Eeker

Some Western Nevada desperado may just try to steal it. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About a week ago, i took my drilling with both scopes out back,

I measured off 100 yards, and put up a piece of cardboard with a red lumber crayon B-eye on it. Then i snapped on the B&L and from a "field position" i fired two shots. I took the B&L off, and snapped on the Zeiss, and took two more shots. Here's the target,

Sunday, the 2009 firearms deer season opened here, and as always, i saw quite a few deer,

Lots of does, and a few buck fawns,

Some came quite close,

Until i saw a "meat buck" come out at about 175 yards. He worked his way toward me, untill he got to about 125 yards away, and then headed back toward the woods. When he turned sideways, i put a 200NP through his ribs, and that up'ed the number to 23 one shot kills. Smiler

I do like my Zeiss, i can see very good with it, even at very low light levels! I'm glad i bought it!

DM

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!! Don't see many folks using the 8 x 57 in either cartridge...always like it...

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DM,

Very nice, the Drilling, the photos & the impressive 1-shot kill record.

The border carving around the checkering is very tastefully done IMO, too.

beer

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...

I've been seeing a limping doe that i determined to have been hit by a car. I decided to cull the doe on monday, when a friend happened over. He hasn't gun hunted in quite a few years, but i invited him to go to my blind with me anyway, and he accepted.

Once we got settled in, about 40 mins later, the limping doe came out, and i handed my drilling to my friend and told him to shoot the doe. He got pretty excited, but he made a good shot,

and "that" up'ed the number to 24, plus he had some much needed venison!

I guess i'll start hunting with my DR now...

DM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's time to bump my "drilling thread" to the top again...

In 2010 i added more one shot kills to my drillings record, including some does for the freezer,

But this fall a big buck moved into the area, i figured out where on my place he was hanging out and targeted him opening day.

Anyway, i passed on a 4 point early in the day, but that evening i was slowly walking along, when i spotted him at about 140 yards. I quickly snapped the scope on, and when he walked out into the open i put a 200NP through both lungs! He bolted, running about 150 yards before running out of gas!

He's the biggest "wild" buck i've ever seen in this state. I know there's bigger whitetails here, but i've never seen one...

My 76 year old drilling just keep on keeping on!!

DM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job! The 8X57 is so much better than most folks realize.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations that is a fantastic buck even nicer to take him with the old drilling.Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've just got to get a drilling someday. They just look like an elegant solution to the "having the right gun" problem.
I have no idea why they didn't catch on over here.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
I've just got to get a drilling someday. They just look like an elegant solution to the "having the right gun" problem.
I have no idea why they didn't catch on over here.

Cheers, John

John they didn't catch on here because most rifles made in the USA that are found in the deer woods cost less than 100 dollars for the last 50 years till about twenty five years ago, while the cheapest Drilling even back in the 1960s was $2000! Today a very old used one that is decent start at $5K and you can still get a Wall Mart special for under $500 today.

.................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again it's time to bump this thread to the top and show you number 28!

I saw this buck a few day ago in my field, as he ran out and bred a doe before going back into my woods.

Yesterday was opening day of rifle deer season here and as i went out into my spot, i wondered if this same buck was still around. A friend of mine shot at him with a cross bow last sat., about 1/4 mile from here, missing him. My friend said his arrow hit a small limb, causeing a miss.

Anyway, about 45 minutes later a spike came out into the field not far from where this buck bred the doe. Then a couple minutes later, this buck came running out to fight him. As soon as he stopped jumping around, i let a 200NP go, and he fell where he was standing.

That runs the count number up to 28 one shot kills in a row on big game, with this drilling.

This is a nice healthy buck, he should be pretty tasty this winter!

DM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which would you give up first that drilling or your life. tu2

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Which would you give up first that drilling or your life. tu2

LOL I'm thinking anyone who tries to take my drilling, this is what they will see first!

Maybe then they won't want it as bad as i do! lol

DM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell me about those adjustable chokes DM - surely not a Sauer original fit!

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
Tell me about those adjustable chokes DM - surely not a Sauer original fit!

Rgds

Ian

Actually, it's a Krieghoff...

Anyway, i had heard about a precision machine shop that made up "custom" choke tubes for each individual gun, instead of making a "one size fits all" choke tube. The one size fits all tubes, limit what bbls. they will fit, so many installers will only install in certain bbls..

This guy measured MY bbls, and made custom choke tubes to what ever sizes i wanted, and i have to say, his work truely is precision, and the tubes work perfectly...

I've been using them over 20 years now...

DM