New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken Horn Trigger Guard on Drilling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm new to this forum and just posted an introduction on the Double Rifles forum. I've got an old 16 x 16 x 8x57IR drilling from the late pre-war period. It's marked Anton Weingarten, Dusseldorf and the action is identical most German drillings I've seen from this period. I suppose the Gunsmiths all bought the bare actions from one manufacturer.

The horn trigger guard has broken, and not for the first time. I would like to find someone who can fit a steel trigger guard to it, like many of these came with originally.

I'm from Texas and split my time between Houston and Tyler when stateside. I work overseas.

The bottom of the action under the trigger guard has both the small hole for the screw that holds the front of the horn trigger guard and the larger threaded hole for the threaded stud at the front of a steel trigger guard. So fitting a steel guard won't require any modifications to the action.

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick Google found this smith:

http://doublegunshop.com/flynns_custom_guns.htm

I'll wager the Double Gun Journal would have a few ads for smiths that cater to fine gun owners as well. Even if it doesn't you still get some nice reading material for you next long flight...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work in Saudi and the govt here blocks all weapons related sites that they detect. The site you posted is blocked. I'm just lucky they haven't detected this forum. I'll see if I can google up a phone number using the URL. I've got a VOIP internet phone, so I can call them if I can find a number.

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
James Flynn, Gunmaker
P.O. Box 7461
Alexandria, LA 71306 USA
Phone: (318) 445-7130

Here is the info on that page. No email that I can find.

Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent with a phone number...

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had JJ Perodeau at Champlin Arms put a steel trigger guard on my wives Sauer Drilling.

It looks excellent, fits perfect.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

Maybe I can use this as an excuse to go to Champlins to get measured for a Chapuis UGEX 9.3x74R.

I wonder if Southwest Airlines flies into Enid. If so that I could take a cheap flight out of Houston.

Brazos Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I had JJ Perodeau at Champlin Arms put a steel trigger guard on my wives Sauer Drilling.

It looks excellent, fits perfect.

...and they make far more sense than the fragile horn guards, IMO.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
New England Custom Gun Service LTD,
makes an Imitation Horn Trigger Guard, that would look much better than a steesl one!

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husky,

The New England Custom Gun Site is blocked here in "The Kingdom of Humanity" (AKA Saudi - its on their post mark).

How much are these and can you email me a pic?

Brazos Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brazos Jack:
Husky,

The New England Custom Gun Site is blocked here in "The Kingdom of Humanity" (AKA Saudi - its on their post mark).

How much are these and can you email me a pic?

Brazos Jack

Imitation Horn Trigger Guard
Code: G-450
Price: $25.00
Can fitted, sanded and finished to look like horn.
Over all length: 6.750"---Inside bow: 2.500"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks nordrseta,

That looks pretty good. I may go both ways. An imitation horn guard for show (to preserve original appearance) and a steel guard for go. My drilling was originally drilled and tapped for both anyway.

Brazos_Jack