New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoped Drilling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up my Sauer 12x12x30-06 Drilling from JJ Perodeau today. I had him fit a S&B 1-4 scope with illuminated reticle in claw mounts. As always his work is excellent.

The scope is mounted low and when you shoulder the gun it is perfect. It still handles like a fine double game gun.

NOW I have a drilling equal to my wifes.

What use is a Drilling?

It is the best hunting gun when you hunt where fur and feathered game are in season at the same time.

My wife loves her drilling, when she handled mine she said " You will love this, it is the only gun you need".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your wife is VERY perceptive..... Big Grin
Now, just work really hard to avoid this leading to the old 'Now that you have this gun that does everything, why do you need.....' Wink

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

You haven't got the best "all round" gun until you've also got a 22 rimfire insert for one of the shotgun barells - cheap practice, small game hunting etc. A 30-06 to 22 LR adapter is also useful as it can be quickly chambered and used for the "Coup de gras".

The fitted shotgun to .22 adapters can be adjusted to hit the point of aim of the irons and scope and, with my 22LR insert I get 1" groups at 50 yards; the 22 Mag insert gets 2" groups.

Sometimes I use both adapters giving me a three barelled rifle in 22LR (for rabbits), 22 Mag (for fox and cats) and 9.3x74R (for pigs and goats).

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AussieMike, do you have a qualified engineer to explain and show you all the options whilst you are in the field. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aussie Mike
That is an excellent idea. I have looked as some of the adapters for the 22lr.
I have also thought of getting a 12 ga to .410 adapter for those times I want to shoot a grouse in big game country keeping the noise as low as possible.

I have also seen a 30-06 to 32ACP adapter.

I do have a "Navy Sleeve" [a chamber adapter that allows you to shoot 308 in a 30-06], and I have used it in my drilling. With it the rifle shoots just as accurate with 308 as it does with 30-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scoped Drilling is ok if your feathered quarry is turkey or capercaillie, otherwise it's pretty useless unless you ground swat. Good option for someone living in a country that limits number of guns one can own, but pretty useless in USA, in some counties they have those shotgun only zones, you know.
I will take my 6.4lb 12br 28" game gun for upland days over that cuckcoo thingy anyday. Roll Eyes
I would pick unscoped 20x20x7x57R for it's weight/handling characteristcs, if I had to pick one.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paolo9,5x73:
Scoped Drilling is ok if your feathered quarry is turkey or capercaillie, otherwise it's pretty useless unless you ground swat. Good option for someone living in a country that limits number of guns one can own, but pretty useless in USA, in some counties they have those shotgun only zones, you know.
I will take my 6.4lb 12br 28" game gun for upland days over that cuckcoo thingy anyday. Roll Eyes
I would pick unscoped 20x20x7x57R for it's weight/handling characteristcs, if I had to pick one.

He says, the scope sits in a german type claw mount. That enables the scope to be unmounted in a second, and so you can change between shotgun and scoped rifle as fast as possible.

I have got such a Sauer triplet myself, and I use to carry it without the scope mounted. If I need the scope I pick it out of the pocket and put it into the mount. The perfect gun for stalking.

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, if you are not a purist, one of the reflex sights will solve the problem. I use a Docter Optic reflex, small, light, 3.5MOA dot. Works ok for wingshooting, and fine on the ground out to 150m or so on deer, but tends to blot out rabbits and hares much past 80 - 100m or so.
Just a thought.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paolo
My drilling is a Sauer 12x12x30-06. It handles better for wing shooting than my Browning Citori O/U.
In fact it handles as good as ANY 12 ga double shotgun I have seen.
I would pick it first over any shotgun for any feathered game with the exception of geese where a 12ga 3" would be more appropro.

Clock on the scope and you have a perfectly good single shot 30-06.
Here in Texas we have fur and feathered game in season at the same time, same in Montana and Idaho. The drilling is perfect.

Sambar
I just got one of the Ziess red dot sights and will be giving it a try on my Blaser R 93.
However with a 1.1-4 S&B or a 1.5-6 Swarovsky scope I have a much wider field of view.
Still I will give the Ziess a try and report back.

JJ Perodeau did an excellent job putting the claw mounts on my drilling... and on my 450/400 too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently while on an elk black bear hunt in Idaho I had a chance to shoot some mountain grouse with my drilling.
I shot them with the scope on the gun at 1.1x, worked like a charm.

I leave in the morning for Zimbabwe.
I am taking the Drilling.
I have Federal factory ammo with the 180gr Woodleigh Soft.
I hope to shoot some plains game with it... just so I can say I did. Big Grin

But the real reason it is going is that I want to shoot some of the small cats, small antelope, and do some bird shooting.

I am taking a few slugs[brenneke], some 00 buck some 0 buck, some No4 buck, some No2 [Bismouth, it is hard to find No2 Lead] and some High Base No6.

As I am hunting leopard, we will have baits out, if some of the small cats hit the baits I will hunt them with the drilling, If a leopard comes in the 30-06 should handle him quite nicely.

If a follow up is necessary I will have the gun set for the 30-06 bbl and 2 slugs in the SGN bbls, as I am not a believer in buck shot for leopard [or lion for that matter].

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
im also looking for a drilling for forrestbirds, roedeer, and perhaps have it with me on moose/red deer hunt aswell.

i have gotten a good information about a drilling at a good price . Its a Sauer in 12/70 and .30 R Blaser. for a less than 3000 dollars.

What i mean to say N E 450 No2 , youre doing a great choice in bringing yours with you, it will be a royal expierience to use it on so much different hunting. And you will appreaciate it even more after you come home.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer in 12x12x243 and a Meffert in 16x16x8mm. The Meffert is my favorite. The irons are very good to 75 yds even with my bad eyes. It approaches the ideal one gun battery for me.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote