New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes and regulation of drillings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Probably a dumb question, but, I have a beautiful Sauer 12 ga/12 ga/30-06 . Will the addition of a scope and mounts affect the regulation like it can on double rifle? I really love this gun, and it is deadly accurate, and I don't want to screw around with a good thing. Any insights would be appreciated.
thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I had claw bases put on a very nice Franz Kettner 16/16/9x57R and it didn't change the regulation when using open sights (scope removed)

I'm assuming that you're considering claw or similar bases(?). New England Custom Gunsmiths is in your area and has forgotten more than all of us know about this subject.

IMHO, a cartridge like the -06 deserves a scope as it can reach out a long, long way.

Best of luck.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Al. Also, while I love the claw mounts, get the EAW swing mounts. They work just fine and cost about 1/2 what claws will be when all is done. Don't mount a Mega-Power variable scope; a nice 1.5-5 or 2-7 is just right, IMO.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have The same drilling you have. I put a 6x Zeiss in claw mounts on it shortley after I got the gun about 20 years ago.
The drilling whent from being a good shooter to a fantastic shooter and I will never get rid of this gun. I took a mountain reedbuck at 250 yards with it and I never questioned the abilety of the rifle to do it even though the PH did ask if it was up to the shot. He became a beliver after that.
luv2safari hit the nail on the head with the swing mounts. They really do work just as good maybe better for half the price.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a Sauer 12x12x30-06 drilling several years ago. It came with a kahles 4x in claw mounts.

It is her favorite hunting gun.

I would sneak it out when ever I could. Big Grin

After I retired I bought ME one just like it. dancing

It was not scoped, so I had JJ Perodeau fit a 1.1-4 S&B with a flash dot reticle in claw mounts.

Adding the scope to my gun did not change anything, except it enabled me to shoot it much better.

These Sauers are great Drillings, as a shotgun they handle better than most "just shotguns".

As a single shot rifle they shoot great, they even have a set trigger.

I definately recommend you scope it.

Plus with my S&B scope on low power I have killed several birds, including turkeys and grouse with the scope on the gun. Wink

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had Reto Buehler fit a claw mounted 6x Kahles to my Simson 12x12/7x65R with no change to the iron sight regulation. Having the same thing done with it's twin in 9.3x74R(4x Zeiss), and hope to have the same results!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
foxhound,

When you have the Sauer scoped, you might also consider having the beavertail forend trimmed to a substantial splinter. The drilling on the bottom is a Sauer 3000 with a 6X Nickel-Supra in claw mounts. I bought it scoped, or I would have a 1.5-5 Loopy on it in swing mounts.

Having the forend trimmed made the gun feel much more friendly in the hands and makes it much faster handling, IMO. It's pretty much agreed that these are excellent hunters' guns! Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote