THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM COMBINATION GUNS AND DRILLINGS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Combination Guns And Drillings    Can you help with my Hubertus Cape Gun? Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you help with my Hubertus Cape Gun? Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I purchased a Hubertus Cape Gun today, from an ad in the newspaper.
Could one of you help me with a little information please?
I believe it to be a WWII bringback.

Left barrel is marked 16/1, and the chamber is 2.5"
Right barrel is marked 8,7mm. Bore is approximately .346 inches, grooves approx. .356
(This is NOT me misreading a 9.3X72 barrel. I have a drilling in that caliber. A 9.3 cartridge will not fit into the chamber)
Both barrels are marked Crown over U.
The rifle barrel is also marked Crown over G about 2.5 inches ahead of the chamber.
The shotgun barrel is stamped "Nitro", but not the rifle barrel.
Both barrels (on the top/exposed surface) are marked Krupp Steel (Stahl) in a circular design.

The receiver is stamped "Hubertus". It is covered over about 60-70% of the surface by scroll engraving. All screws are engraved. The barrels are scroll engraved over the chambers. NO exposed hammers.
The receiver is quite petite, and there are cocking indicators for both chambers.
The rear sight is fixed in a dovetail (i.e. it doesn't pop up with the safety pushed forward like my drilling does).

The rifle is only in fair condition, although the wood is original.

I have seen Hubertus shotguns and Drillings before, but not a Cape Gun.

Who do you recommend for a restoration?
Can you tell me anything about the Hubertus Cape Guns?

Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little more research reveals that Immanuel Meffert is most likely who made this gun.
By coincidence, that is who made my drilling also.

I am curious why so little information is available about these firearms, even given that the facility Meffert used was destroyed in the war.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that information is scant because the combination guns were made to order customs, not standard models. You have a 9mm rifle, as you know, but it could be any of many calibers. A chamber cast would be a start at figuring out just what you have.

The date of proof is generally identified in 3 or 4-digit numbers indicating the month and year the barrel was proofed. I.e., 1128 means proofed in November 1928.

You might google the German Gun Collector's Association. They would likely be able to tell you a lot more than I (since I've already told you about as much as I know).

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be a 9mm based on the 9,3X72R case, like the 8X57-360 or a 7mm or 8mmX72R.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the 1940 RWS Handbook, minimum bore or land diameter for the 9.3x72R is 8.75 mm. Older 9.3x72R barrels can be marked 8.7 mm.
I think there is no such thing as a "9x72R" - but there was plenty of variation in bore and groove dimensions.
If the case is conical, this might be a 9.3 for an "english pattern" .360 case. Or even a 9x57R Mauser, if bottlenecked.

Fuhrmann

Posts: 110 | Location: Switzerland, Zug area (but German by birth...) | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote