New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Drilling ''by Norbert Klups
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello anyone have this book ? is it any good ,looks to be the only book on drillings Thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes i have it, the translation to english leaves a bit to be desired, but there's some good info in it, and lots of drilling picts in it too!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both of his books, "The Drilling", and "Double Barrel", the latter being about the double rifle. They are nice books, I learned some things from both, but the author and the publisher would have been much better off to find a person who was fluent in both English and German, and also was knowledgeable about the guns and their terminology. Instead, they hired a university Professor of German to do the translation.It is obvious that he knows absolutely zero about firearms and his literal translations of the terms involved are horrendous to say the least. It's reminiscent of reading the assembly instructions for your new made-in-China barbeque,which were written by a Chinese who took a nine month crash course in English!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, it was well worth the money. I bought it a few years ago. As pointed out, it's not the smoothest translation, but that didn't bother me very much. Before I bought this book, I learned a lot about these guns from the internet. This book goes well beyond what I think a person could pick up from the net.
It's sort of divided into two parts. The first two thirds is about mechanisms and manufacturers. This part goes into the different manufacturers and the various breeching mechanisms. I found this educational, but not lite reading. The other third is about the guns, ammo, care and buying. It's coverage of calibers was a bit cursory to me. There was nothing on proof marks, but I eventually found a pretty good source for them. I found the section on accessories and components helpful. The checklist for purchasing a used drilling was helpful. The fifteen or so pages on care and shooting was really helpful to me, since I was new to the guns.
It is limited to German guns as I recall, and does not cover cape gun/BBF's. There are a lot of photos and they are fantastic. I still pull it out and read up on things or just cruise through the pictures.
I'd buy it again, if I lost my copy.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have two books by Klups. I have enjoyed both and go back to them on occasion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to steal the thread, but welcome back Packy! We have not heard from you in a long time.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm just vewwwwy vewwwwwy quiet. Constantly lurking. P.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the book from Amazon at $36 on the advise of bobcatbob. It's not perfect but is the best available.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote