Find
Notify
Tools

New (to me) drilling and some questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted
I just picked up a JP Sauer and Sohn 16x16x7x65R drilling from my FFL. This one came with two Zeiss scopes in 6x42 and 8x56, a full length 22 Hornet einstecklauf and short 22 mag ESL. I'm looking forward to playing with everything, getting the various barrels to the same POI and getting loads developed for the 7x65R.
My question is how do I remove the full length ESL? I "think" it just pushes out from the muzzle end with some light taps on an appropriately sized wooden dowel, but thought it would be good to ask for advice before I start banging away at it.
Second question is whether anyone has any good loads for 7x65R using 175 gr conventional cup and core bullets. I'm down to about 10 rounds of 150 grain Nosler e-tips I had to use for my BBF when I lived in California and am excited to use some leaded ammo moving forward.
Thanks

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AH, a man after my own heart in guns, at least

Mine are a Sauer like yours, minty, with a Swaro 1.4x in claws and a superb Heym BBF, with a similar scope on it....superb guns and so useful here in BC.

I am just now studying the !!th edition Hornady manual for loads, but, will use Npts, tending to heavy for caliber.

I have owned four other combo guns since 1974 and love these.

One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
Nice!! My BBF is a CZ 12 over 7x65r - no where near as nice as the older German guns. You just can’t beat the workmanship of those.
I had to use unloaded ammo in CA and worked up loads using 150gr ETips. Now that I have the option for lead ammonagain I’m going to use 175 gr partitions - probably working up from reduced 280 REM loads listed in the Nosler website.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
Sounds like a great setup.
My full length insert just taps out from the muzzle. I use a short piece of dowel rod that I tap lightly and it pops out. Mine fits snugly enough that it returns to zero.
A lot of fun and good times ahead.
Enjoy,
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote