Find
Notify
Tools

Cape gun 8x57JRS and 16/70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Well after years of looking, I finally pulled the trigger on a Cape gun - Bühag in 8x57JRS and a 16/70 shotgun barrel plus a spare set of 16/70 barrels. Early 70s, no ejector with pretty good wood. I am going to mount a Leupold VX-3 1,5-5x20 on the gun. Should make a pretty good combination gun for driven boar and red deer!

Will post pictures as soon as I have the gun in hand!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lucky bugger,I have wanted one of those since I was too young ro shoot. I am 76+ now and still crave one.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Combination Gun.
My Merkel 8X57JR X 2 1/2" 16 Gauge With Leupold VX3 1.5-5 X20.
Unfortunately do not have a set of shot barrels.

https://imgur.com/rHbTQlI

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Lawdog, A good looking combination gun! Do you know if it ever had a set of shot barrels originally ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no knowledge of any shot barrels. A set would be nice to have and would cover 95% of what I hunt. You are set up for everything from big game to upland birds and even water fowl with bismuth shot. Enjoy.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold mine to a member here a few years ago that was chambered in 9.3X62 + 16 G.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the pictures!

Mine's a back action hammer 8x57jrs x 2 3/4" 20 gauge with Zeiss 3.5x10. The barrels are newer, so most likely chambered for something else when it was built. Just getting it dialed in, no real hunting with it yet.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like others, looking forward to pictures and experiences.
My 8x57/16 is an old girl that spent most of her life in Africa. She's taken quite a few leopards and a lot of antelope with her first owner, a German who immigrated to Africa between the wars. Hope yours talks to you like mine talks to me.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote