New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion by A. Baldry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

This is a Lion I was commission to paint some years ago, when I was an active wildlife artist. Most of my paintings and sketches were the study of this animal from life. Similar images decorate the pages of safari hunting brochures and the hunter is sold this image, nothing less. This is a Lion.

If we page through all the scientific research the conclusion is the Lion to take is now too old to defend a pride? Surely we can agree on this? This Lion is on a downward spiral and the shooting of him will not effect the social order of the pride. This is the Lion illustrated above.

The fuck up is that these Lions are few and far between and the demand for such animals far exceeds the population, hence lesser and younger Lions are taken to warrant quotas and to inflate success rates.

Forget scientific jargon and simply offer the consumer the opportunity to take a Lion, as illustrated above. If an operator cannot do this then the consumer should be adequately compensated and the opportunity can be sold again. This is conservation.

Example: I have a private Kafue area which will be ready for hunting next year. The wildlife authority have given me one Lion on quota as the adjacent community have persistent problems with Lion, however I am unsure of the quality or age of these problem Lions. If the Kafue is anything to go by and the fact we are adjacent to the KNP then I am fairly confident and let us say 40-50% that the area will produce a big old 6 year plus Lion. But I am not going to extend that flimsy statistic to my consumer as I am not prepared to gamble with his money. To protect my Lion and the client I intend to offer a fair daily rate and a high trophy fee only to be paid on success. I do not need the likes of Packer to tell me what is right or wrong, the Lion the hunter seeks is the picture that I have painted.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding art, Andrew!! What are the measurements of the painting? tu2

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:

A couple of square meters. The painting is some ten years old which makes it one of the oldest Lions on AR.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

A couple of square meters. The painting is some ten years old which makes it one of the oldest Lions on AR.

yuck
Pity we can't get a look at it's teeth.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

See, even back then you knew the nose had to be black! sofa stir

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
See, even back then you knew the nose had to be black!

See, Fairgame even knows when you have one lion on quota you sell a lion hunt, Not Four! stir

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a Lion I was commission to paint some years ago, when I was an active wildlife artist. Most of my paintings and sketches were the study of this animal from life. Similar images decorate the pages of safari hunting brochures and the hunter is sold this image, nothing less. This is a Lion.

If we page through all the scientific research the conclusion is the Lion to take is now too old to defend a pride? Surely we can agree on this? This Lion is on a downward spiral and the shooting of him will not effect the social order of the pride. This is the Lion illustrated above.

The fuck up is that these Lions are few and far between and the demand for such animals far exceeds the population, hence lesser and younger Lions are taken to warrant quotas and to inflate success rates.

Forget scientific jargon and simply offer the consumer the opportunity to take a Lion, as illustrated above. If an operator cannot do this then the consumer should be adequately compensated and the opportunity can be sold again. This is conservation.

Example: I have a private Kafue area which will be ready for hunting next year. The wildlife authority have given me one Lion on quota as the adjacent community have persistent problems with Lion, however I am unsure of the quality or age of these problem Lions. If the Kafue is anything to go by and the fact we are adjacent to the KNP then I am fairly confident and let us say 40-50% that the area will produce a big old 6 year plus Lion. But I am not going to extend that flimsy statistic to my consumer as I am not prepared to gamble with his money. To protect my Lion and the client I intend to offer a fair daily rate and a high trophy fee only to be paid on success. I do not need the likes of Packer to tell me what is right or wrong, the Lion the hunter seeks is the picture that I have painted.

thumb

The only thing I will add is that you and Packer are in full agreement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck but not really Frowner and that goes for both STU and Mein Fuhrers post.

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

I meant it does not take a rocket scientist to determine what is wrong with the scenario and no offense to Mr Packer.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:
See, even back then you knew the nose had to be black!

See, Fairgame even knows when you have one lion on quota you sell a lion hunt, Not Four! stir

You talking to me? I don't sell any lions at all. In fact I don't sell safaris, I just outfit for them. Wink moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You talking to me? I don't sell any lions at all. In fact I don't sell safaris, I just outfit for them.

Well its good you aren't providing them legal counsel. animal

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know my limits. Wink
Do you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know my limits.
Do you?

This coming from a guy who is determined to decide how every single lion gets shot all over the African continent. This entire debate has been about limits and control. You can't respect your limits and feel that gives you the right to control all. Just as I don't want you telling an operator in Moz how to run his safari company, I want to protect you from being told by some operator in Zim how to run yours. Even worse a foriegn nation instructing any of yall on what is best for your businesses. I know my limits, and I am old enough to know other people don't have to live by mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You no to look at you Andrew I would never guess you had such talent. I always figured ur talents were more to finding big old lions than painting them! I think as hunters we all need to aspire to taking the older animals out of the gene pool. But some times soft boss buff and red nosed lions get shot, "hunters are human" and in the heat of it all we need P.H.'s like Andrew who can see threw the..........

Posts: 64 | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double-D:
You no to look at you Andrew I would never guess you had such talent. I always figured ur talents were more to finding big old lions than painting them! I think as hunters we all need to aspire to taking the older animals out of the gene pool. But some times soft boss buff and red nosed lions get shot, "hunters are human" and in the heat of it all we need P.H.'s like Andrew who can see threw the..........

There re indeed margins for error but free ranging Lion are no longer common and we need to pay more attention to the off take. I will do my most to hunt aged Lion and to give the hunter the best possible opportunity to take a trophy cat. If I have not got one to sell then I ain't selling it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal